It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board

Stenosis at a young age

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
RobbyK
(male)

RobbyK HB User
Stenosis at a young age

Hi,

I have had severe neck discomfort for 5+ years. I've dealt with it, as I have been told by 4-5 suergons that my foramonal cervical stenosis is likely not causing my neck discomfort (stiffness, constant cracking, neck tenderness and spasms from my upper neck going down to my traps). I've tried acupuncture and have tried muscle relaxers, steroid injections, trigger point shots, and several other non-invasive treatments. Next on the list may be a small dosage of a Botox injection.

For the past 4-5 days, my right arm is incredibly week and tender. In particular, my right bicep is very achy, with a similar feeling in the muscle of my forearm on my right arm. I have full strength, no radiating pain, but if i was to extend my arms and hold two weights, I feel as if my right arm would not be able to remain extended for a long period of time. I hear popping noises in my wrist and shoulder when i fully extend my arm.

My MRI from 2 months ago remains unchanged from 2 and 3 years ago. Suergons have said my neck discomfort is likely unrelated to the stenosis from my MRI and don't think surgery would help, and each neurosurgeon and ortheropedic suergon has suggested against surgery.

I am truly hoping to new right arm and right bicep tenderness (especially with pressure on the muscles in these two areas) and weakness (although with full strength) is related to a bad night of sleep or something and not the stenosis. I don't know what to do for this and am very concerned.

Please see below for my MRI results. I really appreciate insight and your opinions!

degenerative appearance of the vertebral bodies. The spinal cord has normal signal.

C3-4 there is a central and right lateral recess osteophytic disc ridge there is right
greater than left lateral recess and proximal foraminal stenosis unchanged.

At C4-5 there is a left lateral recess foraminal osteophytic disc ridge with lateral
recess and foraminal stenosis this to is unchanged.

At C5-6 there is a central noncompressive stable osteophytic disc ridge.

Review of the remaining levels does not demonstrate evidence of focal abnormality, disc
herniation or stenosis.

Impression:

Stable multilevel degenerative spondylitic change with asymmetries as above.

ICD 10 -
Cervical disc degeneration C2-3 and C3-4, M50.31
Cervical disc degeneration C4-5, C5-6, C6-7, M50.32
Cervical foraminal stenosis M99.61
Abnormal straightening cervical curve, M40.40

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Stenosis at a young age

You can pull up a "dermatome map" online that will show you which spinal nerve innervates which area of the body. Your stenosis appears to hamper the nerves at C3-4 and C4-5.

The dermatomes that affect the arms are C5 to a lesser extent, then C6 which runs into the thumb, C7 which innervates the first two fingers, and C8, the third finger and little finger. C 6, 7 and 8 run across the shoulder and down the arm.

The report doesn't indicate anything that should explain weakness in your arm as you describe.

As to the neck pain, do you carry the head forward? You might want to try someone who practices ART - active release technique or myofascial release therapy.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
RobbyK
(male)

RobbyK HB User

Thanks! I find it very strange that it stared out of nowhere a week ago. The cramps and tenderness is in my forearm of my right arm in the muscle. It feels good but is very tender when I apply pressure. I hear popping noises and if I hold my arm out straight it feels like I have a weight in my hand. Any idea what could be causing this extreme tenderness throughout the muscle in the top of my right arm (lateral brachial)?

Last edited by RobbyK; 08-06-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Sorry I didn't get back to you. I was traveling and not on the board. Did your issues resolve?

Reply Reply

Tags
foraminal stenosis, narrowing, neck, stenosis