It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
(female)

Kiba2007 HB User
How to heal a busted toe

My husband works tile. He is supposed to wear steal toe boots, but he decided today of all days to wear sneakers, and in result, he dropped a large wall of sheetrock on his big toe. He didn't even stop to look at it afterwards and kept in working.

He got home and was limping. taking his shoe off, his sock was nothing but blood...

His big toe is swollen and black right at the beginning of his toe nail. The whole thing looks horrible. It's bleeding alot and he has a large open slit just above the beginning of his nail. His pinky toe is also got a simular open wound. How do we go about healing this the right way? So far we are soaking his foot in warm salt water after he took a shower.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: How to heal a busted toe

Might want to use ice and prop it up to ease the swelling. As long as the big toe isn't broken, he's probably okay.

Still, he might want that bruise under the nail drained. Yes, drained. The doctor chips a hole in the nail surface, let the blood drain out, then much of the pain is eased. If not, he might lose the nail and need to grow a new one. Or not, depending on how severe the bruise is.

But, definitely, ice and elevate to reduce the swelling. And keep a little eye on the cuts, make sure they are healing cleanly. Band-aids, maybe a mild disinfectant, keep socks off as much as possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
(female)

Kiba2007 HB User
Re: How to heal a busted toe

It's been day 3 since the injury. I stand corrected, as it was a slab of dirtrock that he dropped on his foot, not sheetrock.

Anyway, every night when he gets home from work I soak his foot in Epsom salt. It seems to be helping alot. We started 2 hours for day one, 1:30 hours for day two, and today was a 1 hour soak. He is still slightly bleeding, a small, but constant flow right before his cuticle line where it split from impact.

After each soak we give his foot some air time. I believe the soaks are helping with the swelling alot. We have not used any ice because he pitched the biggest fit over it and I am ready to string him up. Husbands.. I swear!

Anyway, after some air, because of the bleeding, I put a good dose of neosporin on his toe around the wound and am currently using gauze and that breathable tape to keep everything together. This is changed 3 times a day and is a MUSt because he is not taking any time off of work and is on his feet all day long, thus the bleeding is an issue that is starting to worry me a bit.

Can't drag his butt to a doctor so I have to be doctor for him... Would the use of a liquid bandaid be something to use to stop/minimize the bleeding?

I honestly believe the reason behind the bleeding is that when he walks or moves his toe at all, it moves his nail against the split skin...

Also at night while his foot gets some air, we prop it up, as suggested.

Am I doing things right? Whenever he's in pain, tylenol is what I give him, though his regular plea for it died down by tuesday and he's only had 1 does of it the whole day while he was at work today...

I guess I just need some reasurance.

Closed Thread