It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
(male)

eespiedrop HB User
Numb fingers after breaking my arm

Hi,

I've never posted here before so apologies if this is the wrong area.

About 2 weeks ago I broke my arm playing soccer. I was told I would need an operation and that it would take 6-8 weeks to sort itself. During the operation I had a metal plate put in my arm to mend the break (which was at my forearm).

Since the operation I've had very little pain in my arm but, then again, I've not been trying to use it at all.

My main problem is the hand on the arm that I broke. I have no feeling in the pads of my thumbs and forefinger along with a numb sensation in the 'pad' of my hand (just beneath my thumb). I cannot clench a fist and can only bend my thumb so far under it's own power.

Perhaps I'm being a bit premature but is this normal after breaking an arm? Any help or comments are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tom.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Numb fingers after breaking my arm

Definitely, you should mention this to your surgeon when you see him next.

However, it could be that the nerve has just gotten traumatized by everything that's happened, and the sensation will return as the arm heals. Happened to me after my foot surgery.

Not being able to move your hand well would be pretty normal. The muscles that control your fingers are in your forearm, after all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
(male)

eespiedrop HB User

Hi Jane,

Thanks very much for your reply. I have a meeting with my local doctor tommorrow so I will say to him then. I next see the surgeon on the 13th May so I'm hopeful he'll check it all out but I'll say to him too.

Your information about the muscles in the arm and the nerve has reassured me alot. Now I can go back to just being bored during the day and desperate to go back to work.

Many thanks once again.

Tom.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
(male)

eespiedrop HB User

Hi,

FYI, I went to see my local doctor today who told me that the numbness in my fingers was quite normal and that the feeling would return over time.

Thanks again,

Tom.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Glad the doctor says it's ok.

Yeah, after you have a serious injury/surgery, there are all these little weird things that can happen afterward, and they almost always improve once the injury starts healing.

Best of luck with your arm.

Closed Thread