It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
(female)

PaintOnSilence HB User
Foot pain 3 weeks after injury

About 3 1/2 weeks ago, I cross-stepped while running sideways (I think I did something like rolling my ankle) during a volleyball game, and ended up injuring my foot. The top part of my foot, over where the ball of it is, has been hurting ever since. It doesn't hurt when I'm walking though. It hurts whenever I put a good amount of weight on it (like when I'm sprinting, jumping, leaning on to it), or when I curl my toes up. I just recently made the volleyball team and have been going to 3 hour practices. I don't exactly want to tell the coach that it hurts doing the sprints/hitting/blocking drills that involve a lot of weight on that area of my foot, because we're just starting to condition and get into shape for the season, but also don't want to injure it further. I had an appt set up for tomorrow, but cancelled it due to my school orientation in the morning.

Should I reschedule going to the doctors? And what can they do for it if I do go, that I already am not doing (I've been icing it on and off, wearing an ACE bandage on it from time to time)? Or if I keep icing it on and off, will it stop hurting eventually? Next Monday would make it a full month since the injury..

Last edited by PaintOnSilence; 08-21-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Foot pain 3 weeks after injury

Reschedule with the doctor, and make it a priority this time. If it was just a little something-or-other, three weeks should have been enough time to heal it. You may have damaged a bone or tendon in your foot. There's so many structures in the forefoot, I couldn't guess which one it is. The doctor might give you a special shoe to wear, in order to rest the foot better.

And you need to stop doing things that hurt, including volleyball practice, until you have been treated and cleared for sports by a doctor. It will never heal otherwise, and it could get much worse. If you tell the coach what's going on, he or she may be able to work with you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread