It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 02:57 AM   #1
(female)

ankle100 HB User
Ankel fusion or ankle replacement

Which one is least restrictive - ankle fusion or ankle repalacement?
I am 38 years of age and have heard that if I go for ankle replacement it might not have along life span as I am quite active, is this true?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
(female)

tess50 HB User
Re: Ankel fusion or ankle replacement

Hi yes i can help you,i had an ankle replacement a year ago this month,and i have never looked back,i have severe rheumatoid arthritis,i limped and was in a lot of pain before but i must say it was the best decision i have ever made,okay yes i agree it may only last 1o years and has to be done again,but to have a fusin i was told will make my foot less movement and i will be looking at a replacement in the next couple years,so after reading up about ankle replacement on the internet,i even saw the operation on line,i deceided to have it.I never have a stick now,i walk without a limp,swimming dancing doing all the things i used to do.Believe me if you have the chance of it,take it,im 51 and have never looked back.The after care takes the longest,in plaster then aircast boot but otherwise i feel wonderfull,infact this week having my yearly check up just to see its still in place.I had the Mobility De Puy by johnsons 3 piece replacement,anything you want to know,i am happy to advise you Tess Go for it X

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User
Re: Ankel fusion or ankle replacement

Unfortunately you probably will not have a choice in which one to do ... trust me, I need one and just had my 4th ankle surgery in 4 years and can't get a replacement due to my age, and I am 41.

Since ankle technology right now only lasts 10 years and can only be done twice, they won't even consider doing a replacement until at least age 50 .. so I have to hope my last surgery gives me another 9 years and that ankle technology improves in that time. Ironic they can make a 30 year knee and hip but not an ankle and that I am TOO young to get out of pain and stop having surgeries.

Sorry, had to hop in here because this is all too familiar a topic for me. You might want to check out the foot forum here, many more conversations regarding fusions, etc.

Good luck, I feel your pain ... literally!

Oh, just noticed you are in Scotland .. things may be different over there .. here in the US they will not do it for someone your age HOWEVER I do know from what I've read that elsewhere (Switzerland for example) will do replacements at a younger age. Sorry I didn't notice your location sooner ...

Kim

Last edited by kimberp; 08-16-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: just noticed location

The Following User Says Thank You to kimberp For This Useful Post:
StMar (01-02-2012)
Closed Thread