It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
(female)

sunnymom4 HB User
Question Toe still swollen one month after breaking it...

My daughter broke her toe by jumping too hard into a local pool about a month ago. We had it x-rayed and yes, indeed, it was broken. But, as the Dr. explained they really do nothing for broken toes besides taping the broken toe to the next toe that is not broken, and for the rest that it would simply heal over time. Well, over the past month it has healed somewhat, in that she is able to walk on it now. But, being in school (Jr. High) and trying as much of PE as possible (whatever does not involve running) and on top of that she's gotten a ball bounced on that foot by mistake and also had someone step on her foot by mistake as well, which would not usually be a problem except that she does have a broken toe!

SO, the big question: Her toe is still swollen and still looks like it has a "red ring" around it. Would this be in the realm of "normal" considering the above comments or despite everything should it still be more healed by now and at least not swollen anymore?

I am trying to avoid an un-necessary trip to the Dr. but definately want it looked at if its out of line with what should be considered "Normal".

Any comments, suggestions or thoughts are welcome! Thanks in advance.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
(female)

sunnymom4 HB User
Re: Toe still swollen one month after breaking it...

I guess no one knows!?! I took her back to the Dr. anyways and had it x-rayed again.

Interesting fact that the Dr. tells me: When new bone is forming it's denser then the original bone, so therefore it sometimes still appears swollen. Thought that was interesting and hopefully the x-ray proves this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Toe still swollen one month after breaking it...

I broke my toe and it took a couple of months to heal. It was swollen for a long time. It is fine now, but still a bit bigger than the same toe on my other foot. Also, sometimes when the weather changes, my toe hurts. It has been 5 years since I broke it.

Sunny

Closed Thread