It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
(female)

seafish HB User
Fractured ring finger... not sure what this is and a bit worried

A week and half ago I was catching a ball and it hit the tip of my ring and little finger on the left hand. My ring finger hurt quite badly, swelling, bruising, pins n needles. I went to the ER, xrays taken. They suspected a crack of the joint above the knuckle. Suspected area is the top and towards the inside of my ring finger (inside area facing the middle finger) They placed a metal type splint on the finger and said follow up with the family doctor.

I saw him today, he didn't examine the finger or didn't ask me to remove the splint. I didn't have a chance to tell him where it hurt the most. Suggested I buddy tape the fingers, not use the splint, and use one of those tiny exercise balls you squeeze to exercise my finger. I haven't done the exercise because I wasn't sure to do this with a fracture possibly not healed?

While at home I was looking at my finger. I took the splint off temporarily to look at it but was careful. I noticed a slight bulging, roundness on the joint above the knuckle, on the inside, facing the middle finger. It's not huge when looking at it but noticeable. But if I trace my finger along the inner part I can feel defintely feel hard bump or more roundness. Maybe bone I was feeling? I felt my good finger on my right hand in the exact same area and it is nowhere near as large, round feeling compared to my injured finger. I know fingers have a natural sort of roundness by these joints but this injured finger is definitely larger, bulging, roundness in this area when I feel it. Could this be a bone jutting out or something to do with the fracture? It is quite painful in that area.

Should I be seeing an orthopedic for a finger fracture?

Last edited by seafish; 09-01-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread