It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
(male)

lokobreed HB User
Pain 10 weeks after Distal Clavicle and Decompression Shoulder Surgery - Please help!

Hello,

I am overly worried that I have injured myself after my surgery or that the surgery was not a success. I got my surgery done in St. Louis because that is where my family is form but I live in Tampa, FL so I am unable to go back to my doctor but I think I am going to call up tomorrow and ask them to schedule me for X-rays so I can just be sure that nothing was damaged.

My surgery consisted of a arthroscopic distal clavicle resection and arthroscopic shoulder decompression, both on my left shoulder. After the surgery I began Physical Therapy two days later. I had surgery on Nov. 24 and then flew back to Florida the following Tuesday, December 1st. When I landed in Florida I had to use my arm to pick up some luggage, although I tried my best to mostly use my right arm. I was only back in Florida for 2 weeks to finish up the school semester till I went back to St. Louis for Christmas break.

In Florida I resumed physical therapy and was out of the sling within a week total. I began to use my arm for certain things because I felt like it was healing good. The PT advised to not use it for such things as shutting the doors, etc. I did however occasionally use it to hold my books and was sometimes bumped into or hit on my shoulder by friends throughout the campus. Two weeks later I Was back in STL and told the doc that I had to carry some of my luggage and about being hit in the arm by friends, etc and he said that I could not do any damage to it.

While in STL my shoulder was feeling better and I still continued PT. A night out my sister got really intoxicated and I ended up having to carry her down 2 flights of stairs. I also used my shoulder to some extent to carry luggage on my trip to Chicago. I returned back to FL early January and the PT told me I was able to start lifting some weights, just nothing over 12 lbs with my left arm.

I am now about 10 weeks out and I am extremely worried that I may have over exhausted it. IT is in constant dulling pain and I really am afraid I could have hurt it when I lifted my sister, books, book bag, weights, luggage (which was around 60 lbs), etc. The doctor told me I couldn’t do any harm to it since it was just bone, but do you think I could have? Why would my clavicle bone be sticking out more than the other arm or be sinking inside my shoulder when doing certain exercises? My left shoulder feels at times that it is just barely connected.

Here are my worries

1) My shoulder makes constant popping sounds when moving it and especially doing ROM exercises. It also feels like there is a space between my clavicle and shoulder is this normal post surgery? When I try and straighten my posture by moving my shoulders back it always cracks, feels like bone rubbing on bone.

2) My shoulder also has a prominent bump; it is pointing more out towards the front of my body. It definitely seems to be coming from clavicle bone. (Pictures uploaded)

3) My clavicle gives a lot as well, like it is very easy to push down and it even goes down itself when I do certain exercises with the resistance band (video link)

4) It is even sore in the middle of the clavicle bone (like center of my body part of clavicle) and the upper and posterior part of my shoulder. Is this normal?

Last edited by moderator2; 02-10-2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: please do not post pictures - as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
(male)

Lord hackney HB User
Re: Pain 10 weeks after Distal Clavicle and Decompression Shoulder Surgery - Please h

Hi Lokobreed,

I was searching for stuff regarding decompression surgery when I came across you posting, which might has well been written for menu you. I had the surgery in feb of this year, and my symptoms are all of what you describe, from the crunchy movement to the wierd loose clavicle thing. I figured imust be about 10 weeks behind you in the healing/recooperation process and was wondering (hopeing) if you were making good progress and felt you were getting back to normal.

All the best,

Hackney.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Pain 10 weeks after Distal Clavicle and Decompression Shoulder Surgery - Please h

What you are feeling with the movement and popping is the result of them shortening the clavicle and freeing it up from the arthritis that kept it from moving. This is the intended result of the surgery.

The pain is also normal as it takes 3-4 months for that to heal over and the pain to go away. I know in one of my shoulders, it was more like 5-6 months but 3-4 months is normal.

So I'd give it time and back of on pushing it so hard.

Jenny(same surgery, both shoulders)

Old 06-22-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
(male)

lokobreed HB User

Hello,

Here is an update on my status... my shoulder is now 7 months post op and I am in the worse shape ever! My shoulder is constantly in a dull ache. I hace decided to go through some ART therapy and Graston, but if these options do not work I am scheduled for surgery on the 30th of this month.

I cannot deal with this pain anymore and I am afraid something could have happened to my labrum. The doctos do not know why I am in so much discomfort and agony, overall I wish I never had this surgery but I am trying to stay positive and know there will be light at the end of the tunnel. I use to be about 170 pounds of pure muscle and now I am 150 skinyy cus I am not able to go to the gym.

My shoulder pops and at sometimes it almost feels like it gets caught when I do door way stretches. I am praying that my labrum is ok though. Maybe they need to disect more bone off????

What are you symtoms as of today?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
(male)

gschanding HB User

I had the same procedure done in Jan of 2010 and am suffering similar effects: chronic pain, popping of joint, bump on top of shoulder, etc. Also similar to your situation, the doctor has no idea why. I was wondering if you could post a follow up...did you have another surgery? Did they figure out waht was (is) wrong? thanks.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

honestly? i do think you did kind of everything here post op that you simply should NOT have actually done to it that fresh post op? why the doc stated you could NOT actually have 'done' anything to it since it was 'only' bone is beyond kind of stupid? if there was no real risk they would simply NOT have placed very specific limitations on you, esp when it came to really 'lifting" a certain amount of weight with it at all?

have you actually had at least a shoulder type of MRI done to really truely 'see' into that whole area including the full rotator cuff area as well? that really is what i would be asking for if this were me right now. you just really DO NEED to get that more in depth look into that whole shoulder area since everything in that whole general area, including that highly mobile rotator cuff and acro joint area all kind of 'plays off' each other to a certain degree too and this WOULD also include the labrum.

i went thru my own rotator cuff nightmare a few years ago when i fully snapped the very top tendon and partially tore the one under it too among other things wrong in there along with needing ALOT of deep bone shaving(which also DID include the clavicle) to get rid of some problems too and it was a very rough post op period. but i really DID follow all of the lifting restrictions to the letter since i had had other surgeries before and did not always do that and I truely suffered for that stupidity. what any surgeon actually just 'sets" as any real resrictions post op is usually for very good real solid reasons? its what they feel that just operated on area can actually even 'handle' in its highly vulnerable post op state at all that is why they simply set this stuff FOR us? sorry you had to learn all this crap the hardest way like i did. but i most certainly would want to know if i were you in this posistion, just what that whole shoulder area is even realistically just looking like in there right now. you very well could have created some other damage or even just already "had it' and its showing itself right now becasue of the over strain created upon the tendons, ligaments and muscle that just does make up that whole rotator cuff area when it was simply IN a highly vulnerable state it was and you were very MUCH overly lifting wayy above the restrictions and way too soon espescially.

if anyone is mentioning ANYTHING about actual possible 'surgery' here again, they most defintiely NEED to MRI that whole shoulder for ANY possible collateral damage that could simply be there too. you simply DO need to know what that whole area just looks like before anyone does any real surgical procedures to a specific area when you could also have actually 'torn" something in that rotator too given the circumstances? you just want to know that it has at the very least been fully cleared. i would seriously try and get that MRI done as soon as possible before starting anymore therepy that with certain types of undxed rotator tears, just could make THOSE worse too? good luck with this and please DO keep us posted. FB

Old 07-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
(male)

lokobreed HB User

I had an MRI done and they said everything seemed normal besides some laxity/instability of the s houlder. I ended up having surgery last Tuesday to stabilize it - I had capsularrhpy (capsular shift) - which the doc believes was giving me the general ache in the area. I have my post op appt with the doctor Thursday where I am sure I will find out more of what they found, but by having surgery done cant the doctor see your whole shoulder? He would have seen other tears etc and from what his assistant told me, he saw nothing.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
(male)

lokobreed HB User

Well I am 2 months out of the capuslar shift and every issue I had prior to this surgery due to my first surgery of a DCR is still there.

My shoulder pops on flys and and cross body movements. It feels like the clavicle is still hitting the acromion. My clavicle is slightly angled on the cut but the doctors dont feel like this could be causing the issue! I am so cofnused and exhausted!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
(male)

rjc27nj HB User

This thread could have been written by me, except I am four days shy of my one year mark from surgery. I was in a motorcycle accident and needed labrum repair and also clavicle/shoulder resection/decompression.

I still have the dull, annoying ache almost daily, and when I try and go to the gym my shoulder pops and cracks during certain exercises. I feel as if this will never heal.

* Edit - I meant to put I also have a third elbow growing out of my shoulder, same as you.

Last edited by rjc27nj; 10-25-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Closed Thread