It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
(female)

RMWalsh HB User
Failed ankle replacement

Has anyone out there experienced failures in their ankle replacements? I am a 55 year old woman who has had four surgeries on my ankle within the past two years - all failed surgeries. I had an Inbone ankle in 2008, various additional surgeries to help the pain and swelling, and still I am in amazing pain all the time. My initial surgeon has no idea what is wrong - he called me his 'first failure'.
I am looking to converse with someone - before I really let this depression overcome me.
Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to RMWalsh:
Perimaud (11-19-2010)
Old 08-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
(female)

Rbauer HB User
Re: Failed ankle replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMWalsh View Post
Has anyone out there experienced failures in their ankle replacements? I am a 55 year old woman who has had four surgeries on my ankle within the past two years - all failed surgeries. I had an Inbone ankle in 2008, various additional surgeries to help the pain and swelling, and still I am in amazing pain all the time. My initial surgeon has no idea what is wrong - he called me his 'first failure'.
I am looking to converse with someone - before I really let this depression overcome me.
Thanks.
Hi RM Walsh
I know you posted this a couple of years ago & you may not even be on this site anymore...I really want to hear how you are doing today..I'm sure that you've been thru a lot & I pray that you are in a much better place than you were 2 years ago. I recently had ankle replacement after having almost 9 years of constant pain. It took me close to 3 years to finally take the plunge. I'm still in the early stage, as my surgery was 6 1/2 weeks ago. So far, my recovery seems to be on track, with the exception that I'm 'stiff'. Hopefully, I'll work thru that.
I really do hope that you sought out other help & that you are doing well..
Best,
Rbauer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
(female)

Amram1 HB User

I have a failed ankle replacement, 2009, Imbone, after a triple arthrodesis in 2007.
Surgery by O'Malley at Hospital for Special Surgery.In March of 2011 he lengthened the achilles
tendon too much (according to another surgeon), causing my hindfoot to become destabilized, and my foot to wing out about 30 degrees (like a duck) .Every step caused the implant of titanium( the size of a man's middle finger) to become looser in my tibia
On xray, there is a space between the tibia bone and the implant.(maybe 1.5 ")
So, Dr Myerson in Mercy Hospital, Baltimore did a procedure to straighten out and stabiiize my foot "medial translation osteotomy,calcaneal. Myerson sent me to someone he trained who now practices in Chicago, Dr. Haddad. I am booked for oct 9 to correct who is wrong w my foot Then about 3-4 months later,the second surgery to replace the replacement.Multiple trips to Chicago fr Newark, Pain every day every step, some times without walking.I am pinning my hopes on Dr. Haddad that he cab fix it. I cannot do my work as an Interior designer or as a realtor!
Could you please share your story? Who is/was your surgeon(s)? My diagnosis is severe osteoarthritis and pseudo gout, a crystal disease. Little salt crystals eat up the cartilage,like Pac-man. I have been "mis-diagnosed by3 rheumotologists who did cursory cursory diagnosis "it "looks like" you have R.A. WRONG! Even got 3 infusions of remicaid! Trying to be positive! Have 5 joint replacement, 4 are perfect, since 1991,1996, 2001, 2009, and 2010! equally depressed to have to go through this again! !Judith R. Long cell: 646 337 7137

Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
(female)

Rbauer HB User
Cool Re: Failed ankle replacement

Amram1
My ankle replacement was on July 3rd. Dr. Haddad is my Doc! My diagnosis was severe post trauma arthritis...serious bone on bone!! So far, I'm feeling pretty good, but I'm still in the mostly NWB mode. I'm curious as to why Myerson referred you to Haddad since he is on the East coast & so are you. A friend of mine from here actually has had several surgeries by Myerson & she raves about him!
You definitely have more going on in your ankle than I, but, i know a couple of people that Haddad did some "fixing" first before he could do the actual replacement & they are doing great!! I have the Inbone 2 ankle and he also did an Achilles release since it had shortened up immensely...and that was after I had it ( release) done back in '07 by another Doc.
I have the utmost confidence & respect for Haddad & hope that all will heal well & I'll be walking pain free in the next few months. I have had constant pain since Aug 2003 when I broke it...
Stay positive, Judith!

The following user gives a hug of support to Rbauer:
Amram1 (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
(female)

Amram1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbauer View Post
Amram1
My ankle replacement was on July 3rd. Dr. Haddad is my Doc! My diagnosis was severe post trauma arthritis...serious bone on bone!! So far, I'm feeling pretty good, but I'm still in the mostly NWB mode. I'm curious as to why Myerson referred you to Haddad since he is on the East coast & so are you. A friend of mine from here actually has had several surgeries by Myerson & she raves about him!
You definitely have more going on in your ankle than I, but, i know a couple of people that Haddad did some "fixing" first before he could do the actual replacement & they are doing great!! I have the Inbone 2 ankle and he also did an Achilles release since it had shortened up immensely...and that was after I had it ( release) done back in '07 by another Doc.
I have the utmost confidence & respect for Haddad & hope that all will heal well & I'll be walking pain free in the next few months. I have had constant pain since Aug 2003 when I broke it...
Stay positive, Judith!

The following user gives a hug of support to Amram1:
Rbauer (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
(female)

Amram1 HB User

Thanks for your support. Myerson referred me to Haddad because he does not use the
Imbne Ankle Replacement and therefore dos not have the equipment ( computerized bone excavator) to work on it. Haddad wants to do it in 2 stages,also. but I saw Myerso yesterday and he says he thinks Haddad can doit in one surgery. I know no one in Chicago! How was Haddad's Rehab and how long did you stay in Rehab?.
How are you doing now? Thanks, Judy

Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
(female)

Rbauer HB User

Hi Judy
I didn't actually go to a rehab facility, but I did stay with a WONDERFUL friend for 5 weeks! You will probably go to Glenview Terrace which is close by to Glenbrook Hospital. I pretty much didn't get out of bed, tho, except to go potty & to shower. I had a folding bed tray & ate all my meals in bed...carefully, I might add, so as not to get crumbs in my bed I also kept my foot elevated on a "wedge".& in an ice boot (both of which were my door prizes from the hospital) for 3 weeks straight almost 24/7. It kept the swelling down cuz when my cast came off after 3 weeks, Khristen (Haddad's PA) was really happy with how it looked!
If you would like, I'd be more than happy to talk to you on the phone..I think I saw that you put your phone # in an earlier post..I'm hesitant to do that publicly, but I can send it to you privately if there's a way to do that on this site..

Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
(female)

trudove HB User

I had a STAR ankle replacement done 8/24/11 in Omaha, NE. I had pain and they did a debridgement on 11/23/11. Still pain and swelling when trying to walk so they did a revision and put in a smaller talar component on 5/24/12. After this I had pain around the heel and the Dr said I needed a subtalar fusion so I had that done 8/29/12. The lower component never was aligned with the tibia component, it set way back, so after the fusion I had no plantar flexion because the lower piece was tilted back. I was referred to Dr Haddad as being the Dr that fixes very complicated ankles. I had surgery 4/2/13 and am at Glenview Terrace since 4/5/13. I have been going to wound care twice a week. Dr Haddad was concerned about my incision healing as this was the fourth time in the incision. He cut some of the scar tissue out but couldn't take much. I have my appointment with Khristin on Monday to get stitches taken out. Dr Haddad removed the STAR implant, he said the talar component fell out and the tibia component was also loose. He cut out part of my heel for alignment, and put the InBone II ankle in. I will be going back to Nebraska on Tuesday and start PT, then come back to see Dr Haddad at 6, 12 and 16 weeks. I know people come from all over the US to have Dr Haddad fix their ankles. He is in the top 23 ankle surgeons in the US. I am confident this will resolve all the problems I have had. He said I never should've had the STAR implant for my ankle issues.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
(female)

trudove HB User

Hi Judith,
Are you still dealing with your ankle issues? I just found this site and had the STAR ankle and just had my 6th surgery where they took it out and put the InBone II in. I am trying to get a response from anyone out here but haven't.
Thanks,
Trudy

Old 05-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
(female)

sparks607 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudove View Post
Hi Judith,
Are you still dealing with your ankle issues? I just found this site and had the STAR ankle and just had my 6th surgery where they took it out and put the InBone II in. I am trying to get a response from anyone out here but haven't.
Thanks,
Trudy
Hi, I had the STAR 2 years ago and I am in serious, serious pain with lots of swelling. I had 5 surgeries before the replacement so my willingness for more is very little. Walking is difficult and I really don't know what to do at this time. Is there any help or recourse for us out there?
Thanks,
Sparks607

Old 05-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
(female)

trudove HB User

Sparks607,
I was hoping to find people out here that have had problems with the STAR ankle and visit with them. You are the first person that has responded. This board must not be very active on this topic. Hope to hear from you!
Trudove

Last edited by moderator2; 05-30-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
(female)

trudove HB User

Sparks607,
What does your Dr say? Did you always have pain and swelling since you got the
STAR?
Trudove

Reply Reply