It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

JDsMom72 HB User
Brostrom Procedure on a 15 yr old

We just found out that my (basketball star) son who just turned 15 has to have the Brostrom Procedure on both ankles and no more basketball after. The Dr says his damage is so extensive that to go back to ball after would be taking a huge risk. Unfortunately my son has been a year 'round basketball player since age 6..just got back from Phenom 150 last week, is an awesome kid and player who had planned on finishing the next 3 yr of HS playing and then on to play college ball- his heart is broken. My question is- do you know anyone of a similar age who has had this done and have they gone on to play after recovery with success?
Thank you

Old 07-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
(female)

soccerrocks37 HB User
Smile Re: Brostrom Procedure on a 15 yr old

Im sorry to hear that, my daughter is in almost the same position she is 13 and a very competitive travel soccer player who plays year round. I have the same questions as you, we are doing it at Childrens Hospital. She is also having arthrpscopy on top of the brostrom procedure. I know the doctor told us that for her recovery time would be about a little over three months six weeks on crutches with boot and then after the six week mark they would ease her off the crutches and be partial weight bearing for three more weeks with the boot and then ease her off the boot. Physical therapy would also be nessecary starting at the six week mark. My daughter has already done 3 months of physical therapy which the dr. told us to first to tery and avoid surgery. I know that my daughter will be under gernal anthesia and have a local anthestic from her hips down during the surgery also right before she awakes they will put in another local anthestic which will help the pain after she wakes up. Good luck!

One question: I am new here and how do you start your own threas? I want to ask some more specfic questions for my daughters case and want to be able to ask on my own thread instead of other peoples.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
(female)

JDsMom72 HB User
Re: Brostrom Procedure on a 15 yr old

Hi Soccer Mom,
Are you at Children's San Diego? My son had his 1st surgery Tuesday. They ended up having to sink a screw into bone as well. They did a nerve block as well as anesthesia and that worked great for the post op pain. He is in an open cast until Aug 6th them reg non weight bearing for 4 weeks then into a boot to stabilize that ankle enough to carry the weight of the cast on other leg -2nd surgery scheduled for 9/9. Dr says rehab/pt won't even begin for this ankle until 2 weeks after surgery on other ankle so it will be 2 months post op before he even begins rehab.
I still have not received any info on others who have had the surgery re: playing at a competitve level after surgery.
Good luck to your daughter!

Lisa

Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
(female)

JDsMom72 HB User

One question: I am new here and how do you start your own threas? I want to ask some more specfic questions for my daughters case and want to be able to ask on my own thread instead of other peoples.[/QUOTE]

Go to Orthopedic board and click on "New Thread"

Old 07-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
(female)

soccerrocks37 HB User

we are not at san diego childrens my daughter will be non weight bearing for 6-8 weeks 4 weeks seems short, did your son have nausea or have any reactions from the anthesia? Was amoxicillan used at all? Thank you for the info on how to start a thread.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
(female)

JDsMom72 HB User

The reason he is only NWB for 5 wks is because he has to have surgery on the other ankle in Sept. They will be putting him in the robo boot for support on the 1st ankle. Yes- anesthesia was very hard on him. He is 6'2" and almost 180lbs so I think they gave him a higher dose because of his size. He was sick for 36 hrs post op and not able to keep anything down- including pain meds. Fortunately they did the nerve block so the pain wasn't too bad until about 20hrs post op. He said that this next surgery he is not going to do the nitros prior to iv sedation because according to him it was the nitros that made him so nauseas.
Good luck to you!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
(female)

soccerrocks37 HB User

hi! just wanted to see how your son was doing is his surgery soon?

Old 08-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
(female)

JDsMom72 HB User

Hi-
He had the left ankle done on the 27th. It went ok, they ended up having to do more repair than anticipated and he was sick from the anesthesia for 2 days. Cast off on Sept 3rd and surgery on right ankle on Sept 9th. I will keep you posted. How is it going for your daughter?
Take care-
Lisa

Old 08-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
(female)

soccerrocks37 HB User

My daughters surgery will be in late december the surgeon is completly booked up until the end of October. I feel bad for her because it is going to be the same week as christmas and her birthday How is your sons ankle doing when will he start pt?

Old 08-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
(female)

JDsMom72 HB User

He is doing ok. NWB until September. Pt on the left ankle won't start until the end of September and pt of the right ankle 8-10 weeks after surgery.

It must be hard for her to have to wait! I know my son just wants to get it all over with.

Take care!
Lisa

Old 08-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #11
(female)

kthoffa HB User

Hi, I am now 27 and had the brostrum when I was 17 (2000), after many years of competitive gymnastics. I will say that after 3 months I WAS able to return to gymnastics but not without further damage. I also did not ever return to the level of skill I was before the injury. Ten years later and 6 surgical procedures later, I am still fighting with this ankle. I had complications from all the inversion sprains that resulted in a complex tarsal tunnel syndrome that I had surgery on in 2004. At the same time I had to have some of the hardware removed from the original brostum's. Although the ankle complex was certainly more stable after the original brostrum, I never felt as though it regained the strenth (after months and months of physical therapy). Unfortunately I twisted the ankle this past January tearing the entire original repair. This time in order to fix it the had to do a completely different reconstruction, using a cadaver hamstring. I had this procedure in April and here it is August and I'm still in a boot.
My recommendation to you is two fold:
First, have you ever had your son evaluated by a second surgeon? I had a second opinion before my first surgery and it was most certainly valuable.
Second, don't believe everything the doctor tells you. After my first surgery I began to coach competitive athletes and have seen so many doctors tell my young gymnasts that they will never do gymnastics again- 9 times out of ten they have been wrong. The athlete's drive, desire, and passion for the sport is stronger than ever. Before your son has his second surgery consider putting things on hold to rehab the first. Make sure it was a successful surgery. Second, the idea of no rehab for 2 months post op is digusting. That ankle will form more scar tissue and lead to perminant loss of his range of motion. It could also lead to impingement problems and other issues. Even after my second reconstruction in April they had me doing range of motion exercises within ten days of surgery, with 20 staples still in it!
I hope this offers some insight. If there is anything I missed I would be happy to try and answer your questions. Ultimately you are the parent and have to decide what you think is best. No matter what you choose, trust yourself and your decisions; as long as you feel informed.
Best of luck,
Katie

Old 08-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
(female)

soccerrocks37 HB User

kthoffa-

You have quite a story with your ankle. My daughter is going to have brostrom and ankle arthroscopy what was your recovery like with the brostrom. My daughters doctor said that she would be in a boot and NWB for six weeks and the use on crutch fro about two weeks until she can do full weight bearing and then another four weeks in the boot and start PT at six weeks Post-op. Does this sound like a good recovery plan? Do you have any experience with arthroscopy? Also my daughter is a very competitve soccer player how long do you think before she can return?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
(female)

kthoffa HB User

For my first surgery the recovery was not too bad. I had no issues with the anesthesia (but I did ask for the anti-nausea medication zofran post op to make sure there were no issues). My surgery was in october and I returned to gymnastics 100% by the end of January. Just like they plan with your daughter I was NWB in a boot for 6 weeks. I went to 25% weight baring increases a week until I was off crutches around week 9 or 10. I began formal rehabbing around week 7 and continues physical therapy through my first month back at gym to keep the pain under control and continue to increase strength. I had my arthroscope this past april combined with the secondary reconstruction and synovectomy. Since it was combined with the other procedures, the scope seemed like nothing compared to the reconstruction. I know you wrote that your not able to book the surgery until october but you were going to wait until christmas break- if your able to do it sooner, do. I had my surgery on a friday and was back to school half days by the following tuesday. Assuming that surgery is successful, I would hope your daughter is able to return to some soccer within 3 months, but I would not expect full strength until the 4-6 month mark.
Best of luck to your daughter!
Katie

Old 08-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
(female)

soccerrocks37 HB User

Thanks for the info KTHoffa. Do you know if amoxicillan was ever used during or after surgery or anything ending in -cillan? Were going to wait until December for the surgery for the school reasons and the doctor said that she can finish out her fall season of soccer that is unless it gets progressively worse then she would stop playing and have surgery sooner the doctor is one of the best pediatric surgeons in the area so it is very hard to schedule with her she also is in three different locations....

Old 08-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
(female)

soccerrocks37 HB User

How is your son doing?

Closed Thread