It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
(male)

SomeDream HB User
Dead cartilage in ankle, what now?

Hi, I pretty much found this board when googling some torn cartilage information and this board seems to be very much informative so I thought I'd give this a shot.

An December of last year I went to a doctor for what I thought was a sprain. He said it was a 3rd degree sprain, but nothing looked broken or torn (this was after an Xray). Thing is I was going to the Marine Corps the next 2 months. Everyone pretty much advised to stay off it for a while and let it heal. I do, the time to go to the Marine Corps comes around and the injury is found out about while Im there. They Xray it again and find that there is a fracture on my talar dome. Go back home to get it checked out with an MRI machine. They check it and tell me that some cartilage between the Talar Dome and Tibia (or fibia, can't remember) died. That the impact of the sprain must of been so hard that it died when the two bones smacked against each other. So of course Marine Corps say, no sorry can't come back.

Now, I'm not sure what my limits are going to be. The doctor gave a vague idea that pain will be the biggest disadvantage. It's hard to really get a long term idea though. Obviously the swelling has to be an issue too, but he didn't mention it. Currently, I can't run what I used to without it hurting. I can't really jump and land full impact on that foot and pretty much sprinting is pretty hard to do right now. I just don't know what to do to even improve this though. The condition is forever, but is there NOTHING to improve this? I have read of certain surgeries, but they're out of the question as far as cost goes. The only other things I read about were shoe souls meant for cushioning a bit more. Certain exercises and thats pretty much it. Anything anyone here can advise? Anything? I really hate this. It pretty much screwed up my whole plans and knowing that it can't be fixed hurts so much. I just want to know how close of a life can I live to the one before. I did used to run a lot before. A lot of physical activity before, but this sucks. Can't run much. If I do, it hurts for a while after and I can't keep a regular exercise program. The doctor pretty much said he did all he can do so is there anywhere else I can turn to?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User
Re: Dead cartilage in ankle, what now?

Sorry to read this but I have to hop in here .. your story sounds like mine about 20 years ago ...

Long story short, when I was 18 I was told the same thing, cartilage above talus and below tibia was gone from playing soccer and too many sprains to count and that I'd have to limit my activity. Didn't really know what that meant so really scaled down on soccer a bit until 4 years ago when I went cross country skiing and really turned my ankle, knocking a chunk of bone out of my talus with the bottom of my tibia. 4 surgeries in 3 years later, I am still having problems with pain and walking and am facing possible permanent disability and a definite ankle replacement in 10-15 years.

Check out ankle OCDs, osteochondral lesions to read what the next step is in your injury if you continue to 'pound' on your ankle. I wish someone told me this when I was 18 and I wouldn't be 41 and not able to walk now .. unfortunately this is nothing to play with and you have the oppty to not do further damage ..

The foot problems section has a lot of into on ankle OCDs which again is a step beyond what you have now, but might be facing years down the road.

Sorry to be so blunt, you can probably hear my frustration with my injury ...but if I could help just one person not go through what I did/am ...

Good luck

Kim

Closed Thread