It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
(male)

lindsayhfitzger HB User
Exclamation Fibula Fracture and syndesmotic Screws

Hi there

4 weeks ago i had fractured my Fibula playing rugby. I was taken into surgery the next day where they operated and inserted a plate with 7 short screws into the fibula and 1 long screw going through the Fibula into the Tibia. They explained that the long one is to keep my ankle stable as i tore the ligaments on the ankle.

My Surgeon said that the long screw will need to be removed 6 weeks after surgery and before i start weight bearing, but my post OP doctor says that i will need to keep it in for 4 months and carry on with weight baring.

in 2 weeks the cast will come off and i will start physio therapy to strengthen the leg and ankle but would like to know when the screw (Long One) will need to be removed so i can start the physio.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
(female)

Neffie HB User
Re: Fibula Fracture and syndesmotic Screws

Hi, I fell and had a fractured Tibia, Fibula and dislocation. I did it on 9/8, and had to wait for surgery till 9/17. I had a plate, screws, and a syndesmotic screw as well. I was completely non weight bearing until 12/1, and was told to start out at 40% weight bearing with a walking boot. I was also told that it was my decision to have the syndesmotic screw removed. He said many do not, and as they may break, it is up to me, since even if they do break, it usually does not cause any problems. Since I have no insurance and did not want another procedure, I opted not to have it removed. My frustration is that my recovery has been so slow. And to make matters worse, now it is snowy and icy, and I am afraid to venture out until I am more sure fitted. Sorry to ramble on about me, but this has been a lonely journey. Anyway, not sure when you posted this exactly, but I would talk to the Dr and ask about your options. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
(female)

ElleSee HB User

I hope you're on the mend, I had similar experience but with a dislocation of the ankle too, in mid-December. First op was plate and 6 sort screws, 2nd Op 4 weeks later added 2 long screws into Tibia. Surgeon said 10 weeks with long screws in, I am due back in next week at 12 weeks to have them out. I have a similar boot and can do 25-30% weight bearing. I'd be keen to hear how you are recovering...

Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
(female)

Neffie HB User

Hi, I wish I could be more positive, but in my case, I lost my job at the Library in February because my doctor did not want me to stand and walk as much as my position required. Now, I am on unemployment, awaiting disability, and also looking for a job, as I am not sure if I will get the disability. I still have swelling, stiffness, and numbness in my foot. It has truly been hard to overcome, especially without insurance. I have medical bills I may never get paid, so I hope that your experience will not be as bad as mine has been. Take care.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:07 AM   #5
(female)

ElleSee HB User

Neffie

poor you! Speak to an attorney about the loss of your job, your employer should have made reasonable adjustments to allow you to continue working.
I'm off to hospital shortly to have the two long screws out, my surgeon said that many people don't have the long screws out, but I can't help but feel that a surgical steel screw bending and snapping inside my leg can't be a good thing. The other issue is the range of mobility is reduced when the Tib and Fib are screwed together and this has to have an impact upon my recovery. Since last week I ave taken the boot off and am very gently weight-bearing(maybe 15-25%) with no support on the leg or foot. It's scary but not painful. I sincerely hope that my recovery speeds up from today onward..sick of being stuck at home. I work for myself and it's hard going financially. Luckily we have free medical in the UK but there can be long waits for treatment. Luckily, I have private medical insurance too which means that I am getting excellent care, and don't have to wait around too long...let's hope things improve for both of us!

Old 03-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #6
(female)

Neffie HB User
Smile Re: Fibula Fracture and syndesmotic Screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleSee View Post
Neffie

poor you! Speak to an attorney about the loss of your job, your employer should have made reasonable adjustments to allow you to continue working.
I'm off to hospital shortly to have the two long screws out, my surgeon said that many people don't have the long screws out, but I can't help but feel that a surgical steel screw bending and snapping inside my leg can't be a good thing. The other issue is the range of mobility is reduced when the Tib and Fib are screwed together and this has to have an impact upon my recovery. Since last week I ave taken the boot off and am very gently weight-bearing(maybe 15-25%) with no support on the leg or foot. It's scary but not painful. I sincerely hope that my recovery speeds up from today onward..sick of being stuck at home. I work for myself and it's hard going financially. Luckily we have free medical in the UK but there can be long waits for treatment. Luckily, I have private medical insurance too which means that I am getting excellent care, and don't have to wait around too long...let's hope things improve for both of us!
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the Library should have, and really could have, accomodated me. But even the union told me there was nothing they could do. So, here I am, unemployed, and really not able to do a lot of jobs like retail, which require you to stand for long hours. But, I am not giving up. You are very lucky to have free medical there. I wish you the best in your recovery as well. Keep in touch.

Closed Thread