It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
(male)

Randomrs121212 HB User
Wrist pain/discomfort

I had a THUMB injury which I immobilized for some time with a brace. This brace doubled as a wrist immobilizer. It was basically like a glove.

Look up:Ossur formfit thumb spica

Anyways, I took it off in October (It's January now) and I still feel pain discomfort around that wrist region. This is only on my right wrist. Remember the initial injury was a thumb related one. But now I have pain/discomfort on my wrist.

Thanks.

PS. No I can't see a doctor. I'm just looking for some insight if you can offer some.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Wrist pain/discomfort

Random...saw your request that someone look at your post in another post.....sorry no one has gotten back to you.

Do something for me and tell me if it hurts and if so, how badly. Put your hand out and hold it with the thumb up, sideways. Put your thumb on the space at the wrist and then try to bend the wrist downward, stretching the tendon on the thumb side of the wrist. Hurt? The tendon there can be a big source of pain.

How about your thumb itself...does it bend more than before? If you can. bend your thumb into your palm and wrap your fingers over it like making a deep fist....does the thumb stay in place like it's dislocated? That's another tendon.

Thumbs tend to have lots of tendon problems after a trauma and the best way to treat them is with heat and rest. You may need that brace longer but add in ibuprofen and heat for the inflammation.

Get back to me on the tricks to see what tendon is involved if any. And any sore areas....please tell me where. Hands are really complex....I know, I've had tons of hand problems and have both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis in my hands.

But I also have lots of tricks for finding out what is wrong and how to fix it or make it better.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
(male)

Randomrs121212 HB User

Hey thanks for the reply.
I don't fully understand what you mean on testing myself.

"Put your thumb at the base of the wrist." I don't understand that part. The other thumb?

If that's what you mean then...
Well, no I tried it now and it didn't really hurt.

That's the thing. It just mildy hurts and feels uncomfortable (compared to my other hand) at random.

I tried the thing where I make my fist in my left thumb which I also injured and YES I felt a sharp pain that I otherwise don't feel even if I stretch it. What's that supposed to mean? If I do that will I make my thumb worse... : O

Old 01-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Sorry...yeah, I did mean the other thumb.

So the left thumb hurts too when you do the fist thing. Hmmm.

That joint where the thumb meets the wrist is a very complex joint and can take a very long time to heal. And it is also very common place to get arthritis after injuries. You can also damage tendons and they can get loose or tight depending on the damage and inflammation after wards. At least the tendon going down the side of the wrist and outside of the thumb sounds good and that is important. Doesn't sound like anything has gone lax on you either.

I'd guess that you are developing arthritis in that joint as a result of the injuries you've had. It may always hurt. Try taking some ibuprofen for it....it is an anti-inflammatory drug and helps to calm arthritis. Try wearing your splint at bedtime to see if resting the joint has any effect.

What you really need is a cortisone shot in the joint but that takes $$. So rest and anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or Aleve(naproxen) are about all you can do. Heat helps too. Try taking the anti-inflammatory regularly for a couple of weeks even if the thumb and wrist don't hurt to see if you can get the inflammation down. When my thumbs get really bad and I don't want to wear a big bulky splint, I take a piece of tape(any kind of adhesive tape) and put it along the outside of the thumb all the way from the thumbnail to above the wrist area. It simply reminds you to not move it too much and does restrict the movement for a while. Cheap and easy and you can pull it off whenever you want to.

Good luck and I hope if it continues to really hurt, you'll see someone who specializes in hands...a hands only ortho. A few good shots and I bet you'll feel a whole lot better.

They are a pain when they get hurt!

Jenny

Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
(male)

Randomrs121212 HB User

Okay, you remember the "fist" thing I did with my left thumb that you told me to do as a test?

I got worried about that yesterday. I feared that I might've re-injured it again. But then again there is no sign of re-injury (like no swelling) I just stopped moving it because I want to be cautious.

Was that test thing safe to do? Because I would stretch it before without pain just putting my thumb at the base of my pinky. But if I do that plus wrapping my fingers around it (I guess that stretches it further) it hurt yesterday. And did I just mess it up?

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

No, you didn't mess it up. If you had tendons problems there, you would have had a bigger reaction. You probably just stretched it a little bit and that can hurt for a short time. I do that and I dislocate my thumbs. I have to physically put it back into the joint with the other hand.

But I think it does show signs that you are developing a problem with that joint in both hands. A bad joint affects all the tissues around it...ligaments, tendons, joint sheath, joint capsule. They can develop calcium deposits in them and that grates as they move. Like having bone spurs not just in the joint but in the soft tissues too.

Be careful with those thumbs and try to avoid injuries. You need them for life! They can do a lot these days to fix them and even replace some of the joints with prosthetics but they are never the same. The best thing you can do is avoid any further injuries....your thumbs are telling you that they have had it.

Give them some rest and heat and some ibuprofen or Aleve for the pain. Arthritis is he!!. I know...got it in every joint in my body. Take care of yourself and they will be better too.

You only get 2 thumbs! Be good to them.

take care.............Jenny

Old 01-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
(male)

Randomrs121212 HB User

Thanks Jenny.
My woriness is starting to diminish a little.
I play guitar so this has got me worried and depressed at times.

I'll be hoping though. And for you too. I'll pray for you and me.

Thanks and God bless.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Turn it into a song, Random....lots of people with thumb problems. Now that I know you play guitar, I know you have thumb problems. I played for many years but now can't play a thing on anything.

Even more reason to treat your thumbs like they are made of gold. They may be.

Remember, ibuprofen or naproxen(Aleve) daily at a low dose and splint those thumbs at bedtime to give them a good rest and use heat on them during the day if they start to hurt. And if it gets worse, see a hand doc.If you have a university medical school around, they always have clinics where you pay on a sliding fee scale so you pay little to nothing and you still get to see good docs who can give you some better care.

good luck...............Jen

Closed Thread