It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
(female)

amy122978 HB User
Bilateral Ankle Instability Secondary to chronic rupture of ATFL,CFL-both legs

Hi all,

I've had this diagnosis after having constant ankle sprains on legs since 10 yrs old (once, sometimes twice/thrice a year). Fractured left ankle in 2001 (pins & screws, removed in 2010). Ortho. doc wants to do surgery-ankle implementation but has been postponed since last year. They had me undergo MRI's & CT Scans of ankles, brain, and now waiting to do a spine (lumbar) MRI.
(probably because if I ignore my ankle pain, my low back hurts, and to rule out collapsed disc)

Question is, could the MRI-Lumbar Spine diagnosis affect my need for the ankle implant surgery?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but hope it does to those who reply.

Thanks~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
(male)

DPS2011 HB User
Re: Bilateral Ankle Instability Secondary to chronic rupture of ATFL,CFL-both legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy122978 View Post
Hi all,

I've had this diagnosis after having constant ankle sprains on legs since 10 yrs old (once, sometimes twice/thrice a year). Fractured left ankle in 2001 (pins & screws, removed in 2010). Ortho. doc wants to do surgery-ankle implementation but has been postponed since last year. They had me undergo MRI's & CT Scans of ankles, brain, and now waiting to do a spine (lumbar) MRI.
(probably because if I ignore my ankle pain, my low back hurts, and to rule out collapsed disc)

Question is, could the MRI-Lumbar Spine diagnosis affect my need for the ankle implant surgery?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but hope it does to those who reply.

Thanks~
Amy 122978<

Not sure if I understand some of your issues, but here goes.

I have suffered from lateral ankle instability since my early teens. After numerous ankle sprains/tears, I had surgeries (now 20 years ago) on both sides. Those repairs have since failed and I am completing a two year process of figuring out what is really wrong and having some additional surgeries. The first one is complete and I am very pleased.

The question I have for you is why are you spraining your ankles. For me, the obvious answer was sports injuries. The not so obvious reason was very high arches. (Plantar flexation of the first ray) For 25 years nothing made sense until I understood the second part of the equation. My poor alignment made me more suseptable to sprains. The two primary ligaments that support the lateral side of the ankles (ATFL & CFL) were completely ruptured on both feet.

The first surgeries I had were called Evans procedures. The Evans procedure is a non-anatomical repair using the peroneous brevis tendon to provide additional lateral support. Because of my poor alignment, they ultimately failed. But, more importantly, they compromised the function of the tendon leaving me with additional problems. In retrospect, there are much better procedures today and I would not recommend the Evans.

I have read any number of articles about the Brohstrom repair. It is an anatomical repair of the actual damaged ligaments. The surgeon I found does a Brohstrom reconstruction using a part of a tendon out of the hamstring. I could not find nearly as much information on the reconstruction but it made all the sense in the world to me. This is the surgery I had done along with a 1st metatarsal closing wedge osteotomy. The osteotomy was done to change the shape of the foot, lower the arch, and align my body weight over the heel and take presure off of the lateral side of the ankle.

For you, I can only recommend that you do your homework. There is tremendous benefit in knowing the anatomy of the ankles- the names, pieces and parts, and how they are supposed to work. You can then translate that into what you feel and describe it best for an orthopedic surgeon.

I would also recommend seeing only orthopedic surgeons that specialize in foot and ankle.

Unless you have some issue aside from the ankles, I do know the benefit of the spinal and brain CT/MRI. (However, I am also not a doctor)

I would be happy to share anything else I can. It has been over 25 years of misery and finally some relief.

Best of luck.

DPS2011

The following user gives a hug of support to DPS2011:
amy122978 (02-11-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to DPS2011 For This Useful Post:
amy122978 (02-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #3
(female)

amy122978 HB User
Re: Bilateral Ankle Instability Secondary to chronic rupture of ATFL,CFL-both legs

DPS2011,

Thanks for your helpful input. I'm glad you finally found some relief after misery for 25 years...yikes, that's long! My answer to your question is I have an opposite condition, flat feet- both feet, so they'll turn inward with any ditch on the road/area I happen to cross. Or, it also happens if there were any stones on the pavement. Orthopedic surgeons were trying to figure out the reason why i tend to sprain my ankles very easily...i guess they did a neurology test n detected a (can't really balance myself), therefore recommended a head CT to which they found lesions, to which they recommended a brain MRI. They found lesions in the MRI, to which the neurologist recommended some nerve/muscular tests.The results showed a nerve being pinched near the low back area, thus was sent back to the orthopedic surgeon to recommend a lumbar MRI (L5-S1). Am awaiting the MRI (which is in April), thus having doubts...thus here I am with my first post to this board.

As you suggested, I'm in the process of doing homework to better understand my condition, and like you said, so I can describe it better to the doc. Thanks again~

Old 02-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
(male)

DPS2011 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy122978 View Post
DPS2011,

Thanks for your helpful input. I'm glad you finally found some relief after misery for 25 years...yikes, that's long! My answer to your question is I have an opposite condition, flat feet- both feet, so they'll turn inward with any ditch on the road/area I happen to cross. Or, it also happens if there were any stones on the pavement. Orthopedic surgeons were trying to figure out the reason why i tend to sprain my ankles very easily...i guess they did a neurology test n detected a (can't really balance myself), therefore recommended a head CT to which they found lesions, to which they recommended a brain MRI. They found lesions in the MRI, to which the neurologist recommended some nerve/muscular tests.The results showed a nerve being pinched near the low back area, thus was sent back to the orthopedic surgeon to recommend a lumbar MRI (L5-S1). Am awaiting the MRI (which is in April), thus having doubts...thus here I am with my first post to this board.

As you suggested, I'm in the process of doing homework to better understand my condition, and like you said, so I can describe it better to the doc. Thanks again~

Amy 122978,

I very sorry to hear that- it sounds like it might be quite complicated.
My only thoughts are to do that homework and question everything.
Please keep the site posting updated and keep your questions out there for others. You may also want to post under some other areas.

Best of luck, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

DPS2011

The following user gives a hug of support to DPS2011:
amy122978 (02-15-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to DPS2011 For This Useful Post:
amy122978 (02-15-2011)
Closed Thread