It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

pippyls HB User
fluid collection around hip replacement

I had a total hip replacement 3 1/2 years ago. Turns out to be the recalled DePuy prosthesis. I was pain free for 2 years, and have had moderate pain at rest since then. Metal levels are only mildly elevated. But ultrasound shows 4 x 2 x 3 "complex lateral capsular fluid collection overlying the prosthesis." DePuy says this is an indication of joint failure and need for revision II am also in the high risk group: female, with 50 mm component). My surgeon says, however, fluid collection isn't unusual around prosthetic joints and doesn't necessarily indicate joint failure and need for revision. Pain isn't bad enough yet to require replacement, but on the other hand, if fluid collection is not normal (especially as it wasn't present at one and two year follow-ups) and indicates need for eventual replacement, I'd rather do it now. So my question is, is fluid collection around a hip prosthesis common and normal, or is it an indication of a problem? Thanks -

Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
(female)

anne parker HB User
Re: fluid collection around hip replacement

HI I too have had the same implant , 15 months ago and am having pain but mostly on walking long distances. An ultrasound scan has shown a small amount of fluid and my consultant says this is nothing to worry about although my other hip shows none. I have a constant ache in the hip and i am told the strong pain on walking is muscular !! Feel I am being fobbed off but there is not much I can do. My blood tests and ion levels are all normal.
If the pain does not go away or gets worse I will go back to my consultant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
(male)

Yale95 HB User

I'm sorry to hear about both of your problems. I am an attorney who has done a lot of work on metal on metal hip implants. What is happening is that metal shavings are being produced by the metal on metal wear of your prosthesis. Your body is trying to destroy the metal particles and this is part of why you have the fluid build up around the joint. Other problems that people are having are psuedo tumors that are developing around the joint and destroying healthy tissue. This is causing a long list of other problems.

From my experience, your problems will only get worse as long as you have that implant in your body. You should listen to the doctor and have it revised. If I can be of any assistance, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

My husband had depay hip replacements but not the recalled ones. His first set lasted 17 years and then needed replacing. He started complaining a year later about pain. Surgeon kept taking xrays, stating everything was fine. After 3 years he went to another surgeon for a second opinion as he was hurting so much. The new surgeon took many xrays from different angle and the holes in his hips were quite visible. Apparently, the material in the cup broke down causing an autoimmune reaction and he was destroying his own bone. He had quite an extensive surgery and tissue cleaned out, cadaver grafting and lots of screws. He still has to have the other side redone. Personally, I wonder if the hip replacements are the cause of his autoimmue hemolytic anemia.
You don't want to wait until you develop problems like my husband. Hips lasting 3 years isn't normal. Good luck

Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
(female)

philip4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippyls View Post
I had a total hip replacement 3 1/2 years ago. Turns out to be the recalled DePuy prosthesis. I was pain free for 2 years, and have had moderate pain at rest since then. Metal levels are only mildly elevated. But ultrasound shows 4 x 2 x 3 "complex lateral capsular fluid collection overlying the prosthesis." DePuy says this is an indication of joint failure and need for revision II am also in the high risk group: female, with 50 mm component). My surgeon says, however, fluid collection isn't unusual around prosthetic joints and doesn't necessarily indicate joint failure and need for revision. Pain isn't bad enough yet to require replacement, but on the other hand, if fluid collection is not normal (especially as it wasn't present at one and two year follow-ups) and indicates need for eventual replacement, I'd rather do it now. So my question is, is fluid collection around a hip prosthesis common and normal, or is it an indication of a problem? Thanks -

Closed Thread