It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
(female)

Tareflamingo HB User
Wrist Injury

So, I am new at forums in general...but I am so frustrated I hope that someone has some experience with this or can offer some words of wisdom. Here it goes (sorry if I go into too many details); I injured my right wrist (dominant) at work in June of this past year, from a dementia patient grabbing and twisting it around. Between June and August they did a few tests (X-ray, MRI, nerve conduction study) The MRI was inconclusive due to fluid on the joint, but the other tests were okay. Had physical therapy which was ineffective and during this time I was working on light duty at work using my wrist for the majority of the day (until the middle of September, when I was taken off the schedule for a month then let go).

In November I had arthroscopic surgery to look at both the TFCC and the scapholunate ligament. Here is where I am more unsure about the specific details. My surgeon (hand surgeon) kinda glosses over details and I am so nervous in doctors' offices that I have trouble asking a lot of questions. The scapholunate ligament was partially torn but still connected, and he cleaned up some tears in the TFCC. My wrist was immobilized for about 8 days after surgery, and I wore the splint for a few weeks after that. I started hand therapy with a pt around the 20th of December. It has been two months of physical therapy, and while my wrist is improving it is still painful, and very very weak. I cannot put any weight on my wrist still, and it has very little endurance. My ROM is coming back, but still not there. I am frustrated with the slow progress, and the inability to return to work. The information I do get from my doctor seems to differ every time I go in. The week after the surgery my doctor was unsure how it would recover. The month after he was very optimistic and started me on physical therapy saying that I should be able to go back to work in Feb. When I went in this month he said we would see the progress in 6 more weeks.

Has anyone else had this type of surgery? What was your recovery like, did you have an estimate for how long it would take? Is it normal to be taking this long to recover?

Thank you to whoever took the time to read this ridiculously long post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread