It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
(female)

redpony77 HB User
Ankle questions--help?

I'm 40, overweight (but working on it), and I'm on my feet all day at work. I've had a couple of ankle sprains in my younger days but nothing too bad. 2 months ago I had an inversion sprain (not bad) and the next day I hurt it even worse getting out of my friends car. As I was getting out (I was in a hurry) as my feet went down and turned to miss the door, my heel caught on the running board and my forefoot continued down. It inverted at the same time. It hurt really bad but got better after a few days. Then a few days after that I rolled it outward and hurt it again. Once again, it felt better right away so I didn't do anything about it.

A couple of weeks later it started hurting really bad whenever the joint was moved. I could stand on it and walk on it as long as I didnt turn my ankle or foot in any direction. Impossible to do long-term.

I went to a podiatrist. No fractures, he put a soft cast on it and put me in a boot. A week later the swelling was down but pain wasn't. He gave me a shot of steroids in the sinus tarsi and sent me home with the boot. It felt better for a few days but the pain came back. My podiatrist kept me in the boot and ordered an MRI to check for a talar dome lesion.

The MRI says there's a 1.5 x 1.0 x 0.5 cm "bony irregularity" with "cartilage deficiency" and "bone marrow edema" on the medial talar dome. There is "minimal subchondral cystic change and bone marrow edema" on the posterior distal tibia. The deltoid ligament is "indistinct" and shows "chronic sprain". The sinus tarsi has mild inflammation and the intertarsal ligaments are also indistinct. The radiologist says it could be OCD or degenerative joint disease c

My podiatrist thinks it is the DJD and told me to quit wearing the boot and gave me a lace-up ankle brace. He wants me to wear custom orthotics and thinks that will help a lot but I don't have them yet. 6 days has past and my ankle is still hurting and I'm having trouble walking. It is still "catching" (hurts like mad if I stretch it out and it pops) and it's extremely stiff (no wonder since it hurts so much to move it).

I'm thinking I should get a second opinion since I've never had problems in the past with my feet or ankles. This pain is extremely sharp and hurts like the dickens. It's not achy feeling or throbbing.

I hope someone who has had this problem can offer me some advice. What does OCD feel like? Does it feel different than DJD? Has anyone had orthotics and did they work?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread