It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

grayblue HB User
Lump on back of hand

I have this lump at the back of my left hand and it is getting bigger, probably pressing on a nerve because it makes my hand hurt/ go slightly numb at times.
It looks a lot like a ganglian cyst but it is hard like a bone?
It's actually something that's always been there, in both hands, just gotten way bigger. My son has the same (regular size) thing in his hand.
Any ideas of what it may be?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Lump on back of hand

I have one on the bone at the end of my thumb just before the wrist starts. It came on after I was shoveling snow so I thought I just twisted my wrist. Also have ganglion cysts on both hands at soft part of wrists, but as you said, this is hard . Most of the time it doesn't bother me but when I get really active like doing dishes etc. it hurts and sometimes gets a bit red.

Seeing I have had ganglion cysts I don't feel that is what it is and also wondering if it could be a bone spur or some form of Arthritis. Mine you can actually see it like the bone is getting ready to pop through the skin. Thought it would go away but also think next time I go to the Dr. I will have her take a look.

Hope this helps some...JJ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
(female)

grayblue HB User

Yes, that is EXACTLY what mine is like.
I do a ton of things with my hands so I couldn't tell you what caused it in the first place - hand-stands and wheels at yoga? Hair Wrapping? Computer? Guitar? I guess it could be either, but everytime I do one of them, or carry weight, the thing hurts.
If you find out more, please let me know. I don't have insurance and doctors are way too expansive

Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I really need to do a search to see myself as I just tend to ignore it till it bothers me. At first I really thought I broke something but I know it would hurt constantly if I did. You might also show it to your local pharmacist to see what he/she might say. Mine gets itchy at times.

Trust me, if I find out, will let you know.....JJ....

Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
(female)

grayblue HB User

I was told by a friend (who is a doctor) that it is a ganglion cyst. She says it gets hard when it is big, and then softens up.
Her recommendation is to reduce use of the hand for a while. Let's see what happens...

Old 04-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayblue View Post
I have this lump at the back of my left hand and it is getting bigger, probably pressing on a nerve because it makes my hand hurt/ go slightly numb at times.
It looks a lot like a ganglian cyst but it is hard like a bone?
It's actually something that's always been there, in both hands, just gotten way bigger. My son has the same (regular size) thing in his hand.
Any ideas of what it may be?
These used to be called bible bumps. The reason was that it was thought that the only way to get rid of them permanently was the smash them with a bible. In some cases it did work. I used a pin ball hammer on mine, very painful at the time but it did work. Dont try that at home!. Your doc can slide in a needle and suck out the fluid. If it returns it can be removed surjically.
By the way, they are outgrowths of the extensor tendon sheaths.
James

The Following User Says Thank You to james079 For This Useful Post:
JJ (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
(female)

grayblue HB User

My friend also has one... and she got it drained by a doctor (like you said, with the needle) but it keeps re-growing. So I'm just going to use the hand less and see if it reduces somewhat... hopefully it will.

Thanks

Old 04-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Years ago I had what the Dr. thought could be "smashed" as well. Well he took a huge medical book and smashed it and I passed out. I went to another Dr. that told me it was a ganglion cyst and needed to be surgically removed as it did keep coming back even after being drained.

The Dr. kept draining it as I was pregnant at the time so he had to wait till the baby was born.

This one..like grayblue's is higher up and as I said, looks like a bone is getting ready to pop through the skin. If I use the hand a lot or twist it..man it hurts. I know I will have to have it looked at but for now, I just try and work around it. Thanks James.

Have a good day all...JJ...

Closed Thread