It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
(male)

boilermaker76 HB User
Broken Lower Leg issues.

I broke my lower left leg in 3 places when I was 15 (am now 34). Anyway, it was fixed "cheaply" because my dads insurance wouldn't cover it. The bone did go through my leg and broke the surface, which to this day still looks the same as it did then. There is a huge hump around the area of where the fractures happened, several spots in the area that I have no feeling, toes do not move like they do on my right foot, have frequent charley horses in the leg. Weight is on the side of my foot when walking. There is a darkish red spot forming on the side of my foot and the skin feels very rough.

The doctor that originally fixed this, wanted to do rods and pins, however, my dad refused, so he went through 3 casts before finally getting the leg "somewhat" straight I guess. Didn't go to most of the follow ups because, they costed money. I am starting get worried about this leg now after these years and it seems to be getting much worse.

Is this a more serious issue than I may think? is it common to happen this many years later? I don't have health insurance at this time, and am trying to get an idea of how serious of an issue I may be dealing with. Thanks for your time.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Broken Lower Leg issues.

I'm terribly sorry you did not receive appropriate care at the time of your original injury! No one in this day and age should develop such lasting problems from a broken leg.

What concerns me is that you say you walk on the side of the foot, and there is a red spot forming. This is called a varus deformity, and it could eventually damage your foot, or cause pressure ulcers in that red spot.

Have you been walking on the side of the foot for 20 years, or did that just happen recently? If it was recent, did anything happen to trigger it?

For now, keep stretching and massaging those leg muscles, and keep an eye on that red area. Possibly moisturizers or Vaseline will help the skin hold up.

Ultimately, the real fix would be to straighten out the bones. That would require surgery and a long recovery time, but it would probably help most of your problems.

Is there any way you can get insurance coverage? If not, you may want to look into low cost clinics in your area. You may be able to work out a payment plan for an orthopedic surgeon.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
boilermaker76 (05-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
(male)

boilermaker76 HB User

I have walked on the side area of my foot ever since. My foot does not sit flat on the ground. The red stiff skin area is not where I walk. It's up higher, which has recently starting forming. I know my foot is sort of crooked maybe, but something in the way it healed or was repaired, has made my ankle shift a certain way that makes my foot not flat on the ground. I can lay on my stomach with both legs the same way, and my left ankle is about an inch off the floor. Hard to describe. I was told by some people that it needs to be re broken to be properly fixed. I hope this is false. Thank you for the reply.

To better describe the part that gets weight, my shoes wear out by the upper part of the shoe just above the sole is pushed outward. Which I can't stand to wear shoes for long periods of times as it really makes my ankle area throb. I wear sandals or barefoot usually. My shoes have worn out like this ever since breaking my leg. My ex wife told me that it jerks or something while I sleep pretty frequently.

Last edited by boilermaker76; 05-08-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If the bones healed crooked, it will need to be re-broken to straighten it.

It's possible, however, that a brace or some exercises will make your life easier, at least for a while. Go to a good orthopedic surgeon, see what he says.

Closed Thread