It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

vivelerock88 HB User
Question Knee surgery- really need advice! Thanks!

I've had knee problems since I was about 13 (I'm 22) then in 06 I fell and injured it badly. I had surgery on various soft tissue and to remove a large piece of cartilage. I spent 6 weeks non-WB on crutches and in a wheel chair and several more torturous weeks in PT and learning how to walk again.
It gave out again recently and the doctor mentioned a surgery but I feel overwhelmed and don't know what to do.
  • The doctor said I have a hypoplastic trochlea based on an MRI (the curve where my knee should sit is flat)
  • I'm going to do PT for now to treat dislocation
  • My knee has dislocated a few times before, usually when my muscles are weak
  • I had surgery in 06 to adjust ligaments and to remove a piece of cartilage that chipped off
  • The doctor says I should probably get an AMZ or Fulkerson surgery
  • He says he thinks I probably need it eventually but could buy time by losing weight (a pretty big amount considering my knee has forced inactivity for a while) and doing PT. I'm wondering then if losing weight and keeping it strong is another option itself instead of surgery.

If I get the surgery now I can stay at my parents and have them help me and I have a surgeon I trust. I don't have a job yet either. I also love the idea of being an active person again but I still wonder if weight loss and strengthening can have the same effect. I'm not in a dire situation where I NEED the surgery yet and I can live with just doing PT for now. But if I wait I risk it getting worse and staying in pain. I also risk creating a situation where I do need the surgery but am away from family and have to worry about work. I find it really hard to trust that another surgery will actually make it better rather than complicate things more.

I really need advice. Has anyone had of this condition and have recommendations? Have you had this surgery or been in a similar situation? What would you recommend? Should I get the surgery now while I have no job lined up and have family nearby? Or try every other option first? Are there any other options?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread