I've had knee problems since I was about 13 (I'm 22) then in 06 I fell and injured it badly. I had surgery on various soft tissue and to remove a large piece of cartilage. I spent 6 weeks non-WB on crutches and in a wheel chair and several more torturous weeks in PT and learning how to walk again.
It gave out again recently and the doctor mentioned a surgery but I feel overwhelmed and don't know what to do.
- The doctor said I have a hypoplastic trochlea based on an MRI (the curve where my knee should sit is flat)
- I'm going to do PT for now to treat dislocation
- My knee has dislocated a few times before, usually when my muscles are weak
- I had surgery in 06 to adjust ligaments and to remove a piece of cartilage that chipped off
- The doctor says I should probably get an AMZ or Fulkerson surgery
- He says he thinks I probably need it eventually but could buy time by losing weight (a pretty big amount considering my knee has forced inactivity for a while) and doing PT. I'm wondering then if losing weight and keeping it strong is another option itself instead of surgery.
If I get the surgery now I can stay at my parents and have them help me and I have a surgeon I trust. I don't have a job yet either. I also love the idea of being an active person again but I still wonder if weight loss and strengthening can have the same effect. I'm not in a dire situation where I NEED the surgery yet and I can live with just doing PT for now. But if I wait I risk it getting worse and staying in pain. I also risk creating a situation where I do need the surgery but am away from family and have to worry about work. I find it really hard to trust that another surgery will actually make it better rather than complicate things more.
I really need advice. Has anyone had of this condition and have recommendations? Have you had this surgery or been in a similar situation? What would you recommend? Should I get the surgery now while I have no job lined up and have family nearby? Or try every other option first? Are there any other options?