It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
(male)

my2cents2 HB User
torn tendon

Was diagnosed (via MRI) with a deep tear of the quad tendon and it has a 4mm separation. It is right on the knee cap, in a very localized spot. I suspect the separation refers to the distance the tendon has separated from the knee cap.

Surgery is not indicated and I know rest is what is needed. So far I've refrained from doing anything that might re-injure the knee and have rested it for 7 weeks now. There is some improvement but is awfully slow. I wonder if anyone has any ideas as to how to speed up the recovery - I really want to get back to tennis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
(female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User
Re: torn tendon

I blew my achilles tendon today and Im told tendons take a LONG time to heal (a couple mths maybe). I'm guessing one tendon is much like the others as far as healing. If you rush it, you will only harm yourself more in the long run, be careful. If it flares up, stop doing what you're doing. The safest way to get better soon is via physical therapy as they'll work on relieving your pain and slowly stretch that tendon to prevent stiffness and recurrent tears. If your dr didnt order PT, ask him what kind of exercises (if any) you can do to get you moving again. Good luck with it tho... hope youre running again soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
(male)

my2cents2 HB User
Re: torn tendon

The Achilles tendon is a real bear. Mine is the quad tendon but you're right about rest. I've been off tennis for 6 weeks now and it is only slightly better. I'm guessing it's going to be a couple of more months before I can do anything like tenis again. I did go to a PT but he had me doing exrecises way too soon and it aggravated things. So I'm waiting till it heals some more befor starting in on PT again.

Thanks for the reply!

Closed Thread