It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

blondielou HB User
Re: Ankle Fusion, To have or have not

Hello! I'm 25 and got an ankle injury April 1st or 2010. I actually had OCD (which is where the cartilage gets torn & the bones rub together--forming a hole in the bone), it is extremely rare and not much is known but ankle fusion was/is something they talked about.

Because I am younger my surgeon opted against it because (as I was told) you lose a lot of your foot mobility & range of motion and arthritis sets in very quickly & pretty harshly. My surgeon wanted to try & preserve and improve my overall mobility so what we did was something similar to what's called an OATS procedure. What he did was take out the whole section of bone & replace the cartilage, bone & other pieces with those of a cadaver. It was all screwed back in & I'm still in my post-op cast with no weight baring for a total of six weeks. I'll have about 16 weeks of physical therapy and my recovery time will be an additional year.

I would do lots and lots of research because that fusion takes away a lot of the mobility and your range of motion. Go to several dr.'s to get their opinion because my first Dr. was a complete moron and put me through a failed surgery, had to go to pain management and a years worth of $$$. Went to the second (on my own accord) and I saw seen in March, surgery in May.

Closed Thread