It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
(female)

kindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB User
Out of Town PTTD surgery

I am travelling to Baltimore in a few weeks to see Dr. Mark Myerson for a third opinion regarding surgery for PTTD. I live in Raleigh, NC --about 5 hours away. I have concerns about the return trip home post-surgery. Has anyone travelled out of town for this surgery? How did you handle it? I hear he is a great surgeon, but is it worth the complications that the travelling will present?

Thanks!

Last edited by kindredsprit; 07-17-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User
Re: Out of Town PTTD surgery

I had surgery in NYC, 2 hours away. I went home (well, actually to subacute rehab)from hospital in a medical van, strapped in a wheelchair, with foot up. It wasn't too bad, but be sure to stay on top of the pain meds...you might have to take some during the trip too...don't wait if your dose is due. Between the trip and getting settled in, I did miss a dose and paid for it dearly that night. Fortunately, since I was in a medical facility, I was able to get injectable pain med to get ahead of the pain. You might want to consider an intermediate step of staying in a rehab facility close by hospital for a few days after hospital release just to give you a few more days for pain to become manageable. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
(female)

kindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB User

Thanks—more options to think about. I’ll be glad when this is all decided!

Old 07-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Hi, I'm just curious with all the great ortho's we have here at UNC and Duke, why are you travelling to Baltimore for your surgery?

Could you not find a doc who could do it here, so you'd be close to home?

Kat

Old 07-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
(female)

It took a while for me to get diagnosed with PTTD. The first surgeon said it was a terrible procedure and did not recommend it. I asked around for recommendations, but wanted to be sure to get someone specializing in this procedure. I did find someone here in Raleigh but am not sure I feel completely confident with him.

I would prefer to find someone in the Triangle.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

my docs are Garrett and Bolignese at Duke. Garrett is the Head of Orthopedics and Bolignese is the surgeon that did my Tibia Tubercle Osteotomy and Reconstruction a year and a half ago and he's really really good. I've had over 20 surgeries on both knees, and these two have been my fav. surgeons to date. Garrett was the Head of Ortho at UNC but 6 yrs. ago he moved to Duke, and I followed him over there!

Good luck!

Kat

Old 07-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
(female)

Whoa--you have significant experience. Thanks for sharing your insight. Good news, I have scheduled an appointment with a Duke ortho in August!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Congrats! I hope they work as well for you as they have for me. Good luck and best wishes for your upcoming surgery.

kat

Old 07-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
(female)

molliefrog24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindredsprit View Post
I am travelling to Baltimore in a few weeks to see Dr. Mark Myerson for a third opinion regarding surgery for PTTD. I live in Raleigh, NC --about 5 hours away. I have concerns about the return trip home post-surgery. Has anyone travelled out of town for this surgery? How did you handle it? I hear he is a great surgeon, but is it worth the complications that the travelling will present?

Thanks!
hi kindredsprit,

i'm just curious. how does that work with your insurance when you are traveling to another state for surgery? what type do you have? do you know what types of insurances are accepted by dr. mark myerson?

thx and i wish you luck!!

Old 07-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
(female)

Luckily, my insurance is with CIGNA & is a national plan. Dr. Myerson is even "in network." Thanks for the luck--I go to Baltimore to see him this week!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
(male)

mcelsnoot HB User

I am considering Dr. Myerson. May I ask whether you had your surgery with him and if so, what your comments would be about him. Thank you.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
(female)

Hi,
Yes, Dr. Myerson repaired my ankle. He did a wonderful job. I am 4 months post-op and doing very well. I do have pain as I walk but consider it part of the recovery process as I rebuild my muscle strength. I see you are from Reston, VA. You are in a similar situation with having to travel a distance to see him. I had spoken with other doctors locally but felt most confident with Dr. Myerson. I have no regrets and would do it this way again. Be sure to check his vitae on Mercy's website. I would be glad to answer any other questions. BTW, I had planned on having surgery now (this January)but had to move it up because my ankle was worsening quickly, too. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to kindredsprit For This Useful Post:
mcelsnoot (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
(female)

trishab65 HB User

i was reading your post. what about your care ater surgery,your check ups, so are you willing to travel every week or two to see this dr? are you planning on to see him the rest of your left if you have to,id think id worry about this more,and look into other dr around your house for future need

Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
(female)

I had my surgery on a tuesday (outpatient), stayed in a hotel across the street from the hospital for 3 nights after, saw my doctor on Thursday. He removed my surgical splint, took x-rays, put me in a surgical boot and sent me home. I travelled 5 hours home (by car) with no issues (I had been concerned). At 6 weeks, I had x-rays taken here at home and sent them to him. He reviewed them and called me and gave me a schedule to begin weight bearing --followed by PT a month later. I have had no need to see him again. Any questions or concerns I had were answered by phone or e-mail. I am glad I used this doctor because of his reputation and would do it this way again if I needed to for my other foot.

The following user gives a hug of support to kindredsprit:
trishab65 (01-10-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindredsprit View Post

Thanks!
what does the PTTD stand for please

Reply Reply