It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
stealth9109

Compound Fracture tib/fib

Last edited by stealth9109; 09-27-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: A mod removed the images of my x-rays without a reason and without informing me why. I do not want my threads on this forum.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: Compound Fracture tib/fib

stealth9109

If you look at the x-rays of your lower leg, you will notice that the tibia is really the important bone--it is the weight bearing bone. The fibula is really only there to connect the otherside of your ankle bone. If you look up towards your knee you will see that the tibula connects with the knee via some ligaments and cartilidge but the fibula just swings in the breeze. That is why the doctor fixed the tibia because that is the working bone and left the fibula to just heal on it own because the fibula is only there to connect the ankle to your leg. Another way to look at it--feel the front of your leg--that fat bone in the front is your tibia, now feel the back of your leg, all you feel is soft tissue, that is were your fibula lives nice and warm and easy going just laying low and relaxing in the back of your leg.
Hope this answers your question.

Last edited by shisslak; 09-22-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
stealth9109

Last edited by stealth9109; 09-27-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

stealth9109

My guess is that your fibula was broken in the middle of your leg vs broken lower closer to your ankle. Again because it is not a weight bearing bone and its only real job is to connect your ankle to your lower leg so there is really no need to fix the break or even straighten it out because your will be able to walk without the use of the fibula. If you ever have the occassion to have an x-ray done of that leg again after about a year, you will see that the bone would have grown scar tissue that will eventually connect the two sides of the bones together. It will not look pretty, however, the medical community only fixes things if the problem has a huge impact on your way of living and what can be seen on the outside. So medicine will fix your problem on the inside if the problem will have a significant effect on your everyday life (your inability to walk with a broken tibia would fit that category) but if the problem does not have a significant effect on your everyday life (broken fibulas that do not effect the ankle-you can walk and let the bone heal on its own) fits this category.
I make that statement because I actually have a heart rhythm problem and a doctor actually said to me that he could try some medication to make me feel better, however, the procedure that could be done to correct the problem he would not do because my problem was not life threatning, of course I was unable to work for six weeks and this problem was causing a significant effect on my life, however, in his opinion if you are not at risk of dying than the significant effect was not serious enough to warrant invasive treatment.
So your lower leg on an x-ray may not look pretty, however, the part that would have a major effect on your life was fixed and you are now able to walk and live a normal life with one bone that is reinforced with hardware and a bone that is no longer straight but really does not have to be because it just sits there and keeps your tibia bone from becoming lonely.

Last edited by shisslak; 09-23-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Closed Thread