It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
(female)

stuart06 HB User
Question Broken Ankle Recovery

Hi is there anyone out there that is recovering from a broken ankle or has had one. Could do with some company. Going crazy being housebound

Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
(female)

oppy HB User
Re: Broken Ankle Recovery

Hi! I see that you posted in December and I just wondered how you are doing. I broke mine three weeks ago and I can identify with going crazy! I appreciate any information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
(female)

stuart06 HB User

Hello I am fine. Although it has been a long recovery. It's been nearly 8 months and I am still limping. I had ten weeks of physio and that is it now. I have to get on with it. Today I'm having a bad day with it, very stiff but I just have to get on with it. I have eleven pins in my ankle and a plate. I also have a hook through the talus bone to hold the dislocation together. What did you do? Do you have pins to? Are you in England? Would love to hear from you. x x

Old 06-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
(female)

oppy HB User

My goodness, you are up early. I am so sorry that you are having a down day. Do you still have your pins in? Thankfully, I didn't have pins, just a plate and screws - one of which is poking out (still under the skin). I haven't seen my xrays nor do I want to, so I can't tell you exactly what's what.

I saw my os at two weeks post op and am not scheduled to see him until eight weeks post op on The 15th of this month. He told me then that I would not need pt (???) and he might let me begin pwb if all looked okay! I have literally prayed for supernatural healing!

This has been the longest journey and still more to come with weight bearing. Twenty years ago I had bunions removed from both of my feet at once. My feet swelled probably up to a year, but I learned to prop my feet up everytime I sat down and it eventually goes away. I am more scared of weight bearing than anything!

No, I don't live in England. I live in Florida. Are you in England?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Becky

Old 05-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
(female)

sweetlove1959 HB User

I fractured my fibula and part of my tibia on Jan. 11th, 2013. They put a short cast on for 2 months and after that, they removed it and replaced it with a black walking boot, but Doc said I couldn't walk on it yet because even though my tibia was healed, the fibula still needed healing and i was too overweight to put weight on my ankle, so he gave me 6 weeks with the boot. Two days ago, I went back and Doc tested my ankle reflexes and stated my ligaments and muscles were strong and I could start walking with my boot on, but he didn't give me any detailed instructions on how to start. He didn't recommend therapy either. I took it upon myself to use my crutches. I feel good with the exception that my foot swells up and my heel hurts when i apply weight. I was told to take it easy and not over do it. How much is "overdoing it"?? Doc said to walk as much as I can tolerate---How much is "tolerating"?? I don't feel pain but I do get tired right away. Can someone help me with this?

Old 06-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
(female)

smelly37 HB User

I'm into week five of my ankle surgery. I have eight screws on the outer left ankle and two long ones in the inside. I Am in an air cast and going to PT for flexibility. So far not good. My ankle can't flex up if I tried. It sometimes spasms but that's it. I am also having trouble bending my big toe and pinky. I am so miserable. Any advice? Thank you. I hope everyone is feeling better.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
(male)

mred27 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelly37 View Post
I'm into week five of my ankle surgery. I have eight screws on the outer left ankle and two long ones in the inside. I Am in an air cast and going to PT for flexibility. So far not good. My ankle can't flex up if I tried. It sometimes spasms but that's it. I am also having trouble bending my big toe and pinky. I am so miserable. Any advice? Thank you. I hope everyone is feeling better.
How is your ankle doing? I broke mine in three places a week ago and had screws and at least a plate put in. Not sure of what else he did. Reading a few horror stories about recovery on here. Hope you are feeling better!

The Following User Says Thank You to mred27 For This Useful Post:
smelly37 (07-25-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
(female)

mcnelly HB User

I broke my ankle in three places in March of 2011; I have a plate, 4 screws and 4 pins. It was a very long recovery (probably 16-18 months in total before I felt 95% like my old self ... much longer than I anticipated!) but I walk today with no limp or pain, although I still "feel" a thickness/stiffness almost all the time. I can't imagine not having had physical therapy! Without it, I would not have been able to regain mobility, flexibility and strength. It wasn't easy and was a slow process, but there is light at the end of the tunnel! I definitely had "down" days where I thought I'd never walk normally again, but thankfully that didn't happen. I know it can be very frustrating to feel a loss of independence and I felt housebound a lot, but it is important to get out when you can, and to work with a physical therapist to begin to re-use the joint. The other reason the PT was so helpful for me was because once I started to physically heal, and my ankle was physically ready to start bearing weight and moving again, I had a HUGE psychological block ... my brain kept telling me no! Don't step on it, don't move it, don't bend it. And it was critical for me to learn how to overcome this ... PT helped enormously. Good luck to all of you still recovering!

The following user gives a hug of support to mcnelly:
smelly37 (07-25-2013)
Reply Reply