It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

gav_73 HB User
Neck pain, muscle spasms,

Hi everyone,

Long story short, I was involved in a car accident in which I broke my neck approx. 17 years ago. I have never had problems until the last couple years. In 2009 I had a persistent pain in my neck that felt like a crick that wouldn't go away. I had an MRI that showed some herniated discs, bulging, bone spurs, etc. He also said I had a positive Hoffman's sign before the MRI and he expected to see some sort of spinal compression, but nothing was there. He prescribed PT, but it actually hurt it more. Finally the ortho decided surgery was the only other option. However, about a week before the surgery it started to feel better, so I cancelled and haven't had any problems since.

About a month ago I started getting these horrible cramps in my back upon standing for a very short amount of time. About 2 weeks later it is now in my shoulders as well. This Saturday before I went to bed my neck started to "hurt" a little, more like a dull pain rather than a crick, but nothing too bad. Just enough to notice. The next morning I woke up and felt fine. About 30 minutes later I started to have cramps in my shoulders and my neck pain was unbearable. Nothing I did could relieve it. It didn't hurt with any certain movement, it was just constant. I noticed it hurt WORSE when I relaxed or sat down.

I'm going to see the ortho on Thursday. I'm stumped, however. Can anyone relate to this at all?

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Neck pain, muscle spasms,

Anyone with chronic neck problems can relate to what you are going through. Once you hurt your neck, it's always a problem.

If the ortho orders an MRI, get a copy of the report and post it on the Spinal Cord Disorders board we'll give you an idea of what is wrong. That is where us "cervies" hang out. there are new surgeries out there and a lot of people going through ACDF's and all sorts of things. Some very knowledgeable people there who have had neck surgeries. We can tell you what the MRI says in plain English and give you some ideas for treatment and how to find a really goo doc.

Sorry you are hurting again....I also broke my neck 5 years ago and have 2 major neck surgeries and am probably headed for my 3rd shortly. I understand the problems.

hugs................Jenny(fused C3 to T1)

Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

dyyzzee HB User
Re: Neck pain, muscle spasms,

I suggest you look find someone in your area that does rolfing/structural integration. It isn't exactly cheap but is probably cheaper than surgery.

A Rolfer will look at your whole body alignment and usually works from the feet or pelvis up since many neck problems originate further down.

I'm currently undergoing treatment from a rolfer for neck problems (not as major as yours) but I've only had one treatment so it's too early to say for sure if it's making any difference. I'll try to remember to post back here once I've completed the 10 (or more) treatments.

Closed Thread