It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
(male)

Ice2Cool HB User
Right leg turning outward at the hip

Hi all,

Was wondering if someone out there could help me with a problem I have been experiencing for a while.

Firstly, some background : I have flat feet - particularly with my right foot where my arch has collapsed and where I pronate quite a lot. I have had orthotics made, although they have personally never helped me with the pain I experienced in my right foot, nor with rebuilding the arch in my foot.

The problem I am experiencing however is that my entire right leg is turning outward at the hip. It is actually an effort to keep the leg pointing forward as it should. Even if I am laying down in bed, my right leg automatically turns outward when relaxed. This outward turning has caused a snapping/clicking sensation in my right hip when I walk or run. From some googling it appear to be my piriformis. I believe that my leg turning outward like this is playing a large part in the pain I experience in my right foot due to the twisting forces it exerts on my foot while I am walking. Secondly it is also beginning to cause me knee pain. It should be noted that I do not experience this problem on my left leg - in fact it is not possible for me to even turn out the left leg to the same degree that the right leg turns out.

As a side note - I discovered about a year ago that I have mild scoliosis in my spine - not sure if this would cause the problem I am having.

Can anyone please suggest why I am having this problem and how I can fix it? I would like to develope some sort of muscle/support/strength to keep the leg straight so that it doesn't twist outward. I am a 26 year old fit male and exercise regularly.

Last edited by Ice2Cool; 03-14-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
(male)

Pg120 HB User
Re: Right leg turning outward at the hip

My symptoms seem to match yours to a tee . My ankle and knee are so unstable now and cause me a huge amount of pain. I've gone to many places to no avail. Did you have any luck?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
(male)

kolbrun2606 HB Userkolbrun2606 HB User

Hi. Wonder if you had any luck until now with getting treatment. Maybe it helps when I tell you a little about myself. I used to be a little tired after work, but always fresh every morning, full of energy, so I never thought anything might be wrong. Usually back pain in lower back after lifting heavy bags or even just after standing bend-over. In 2007 I slipped om ice and fell on my right hand. Some movements i couldŽt make anymore with my right arm & nasty pain at night. IŽd surgery on supraspinatus tear and PT. When the supra had grown the PT moved his attention to the why? of it. it seemed bloodflow in my back had been poor since ages = lower back pain. Why this? IŽd had a bad knee for 22 years ago. A turned pelvis because of stiff ligaments = genetic cause. When I do stretching now I experience a much stiffen left hip than right hip. My PT says I have a light scoliosis in my upper back, a bend to the right in the direction of the scapula. This is dangerous and stretching exercises are a remedy with this. However IŽd be a much better condition had I started exercising on an early age. This means the scoliosis connects to the "turned"pelvis and to the overall condition of the body and explains the regular tiredness after work.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
(female)

Iloverockmusic HB UserIloverockmusic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice2Cool View Post
Hi all,

Was wondering if someone out there could help me with a problem I have been experiencing for a while.

Firstly, some background : I have flat feet - particularly with my right foot where my arch has collapsed and where I pronate quite a lot. I have had orthotics made, although they have personally never helped me with the pain I experienced in my right foot, nor with rebuilding the arch in my foot.

The problem I am experiencing however is that my entire right leg is turning outward at the hip. It is actually an effort to keep the leg pointing forward as it should. Even if I am laying down in bed, my right leg automatically turns outward when relaxed. This outward turning has caused a snapping/clicking sensation in my right hip when I walk or run. From some googling it appear to be my piriformis. I believe that my leg turning outward like this is playing a large part in the pain I experience in my right foot due to the twisting forces it exerts on my foot while I am walking. Secondly it is also beginning to cause me knee pain. It should be noted that I do not experience this problem on my left leg - in fact it is not possible for me to even turn out the left leg to the same degree that the right leg turns out.

As a side note - I discovered about a year ago that I have mild scoliosis in my spine - not sure if this would cause the problem I am having.

Can anyone please suggest why I am having this problem and how I can fix it? I would like to develope some sort of muscle/support/strength to keep the leg straight so that it doesn't twist outward. I am a 26 year old fit male and exercise regularly.
I've always had both feet turn outward like yours. My left is not nearly as bad as my right. Like you, my left foot does not rotate as much as my right foot does and I have to forceably turn my right foot as it does not do it voluntarily.
I fractured/dislocated my talar neck,body, and subtalar joint on my right foot which exacerbated the condition. A year after surgery, 2001, I began to notice the difference.
Did you injure your foot, ankle, or leg? If you did, perhaps it didn't set in the correct position? I believe they call it varus malunion. This may not apply in your situation if you have not injured or fractured your foot or ankle.
Like you, I have scoliosis...had it since I was young. My orthopedist, in 1979, performed an operation on my left growth plate to keep the left leg from growing and the right leg could catch up. However, when I had a c-section, the anesthesiologist noticed that I still had scoliosis.
Due to the significant outward rotation, it is almost at a 90 degree angle, makes my leg, knee, and hip hurt due to the outward rotation. Like you, my foot and leg will automatically rotate when I am lying in bed. Does your leg, foot, knee, and hip hurt, too?
Hope this helps!!!!!

Old 08-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
(male)

tekgooroo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice2Cool View Post
Hi all,

I have exactly the same symptoms. I did injure my leg in a motorcycle accident years ago. They used two pins to reattach my ankle bone. Later they removed the pins but I think the three months I was in a cast gave my leg a permanent turn somehow. It's love to know if it can be corrected.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
(female)

michellegillesp HB User

I am experiencing the same thing. I would recommend looking up Ehlers Danlos. Much of what you have mentioned may relate to this. Orthopedic doctors don't know a lot about it. I know because I have it and want diagnosed until far after surgeries. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:03 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would think your first thing would be a trip to an orthopedic surgeon.

Reply Reply