It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
(female)

brien25 HB User
Cheilectomy while living alone

I am retired 61 yrs old and abruptly single without warning. I have to have cheilectomy on left big toe in the next 6 weeks or so and am very concerned regarding recovery with no help, no public transportation. I have 2 large dogs, (but do have a fenced yard.)

Will I need any overnight or all day care immediately post surgery?

Any tips to smooth post op recovery by myself - I admit to being quite scared.

S

Last edited by brien25; 03-26-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Cheilectomy while living alone

Most doctors let you walk on it within a few days. What does your ortho say about that? My first one was on my left foot and the doc let me walk on it from day 1 though I did have crutches if I needed them. I was fine on my on. The second one was on my right foot and that surgeon wouldn't let me walk on it till day 5. I had someone stay with me the first two days and nights and was on my own after that. I couldn't drive, of course, with that one as it's not legal here to do it with a surgical shoe or boot on the right foot. Had stitfches out at 2 weeks and drove from then on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
(female)

brien25 HB User

Thanks Titchou...I need to get more detailed info from ortho. I realized I never asked specifics, like crutches, icing it, elevating it, etc. He did say I would be "able" to walk on day 1...Were you confined to bed for any number of days? Most post op online describes elevating foot 90% of time for a week at least.
I have never been on my own before, have next to no support network and I realize there is probably a lot of stuff I can/should do before hand to inconvenience the person I do have the least.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I was never told to ice - elevate as much as possible, of course but no firm directive on that either. I was told by my last surgeon when I asked that icing it restricts blood flow to the toe and that's counter to what they want to happen. I never had much swelling with either toe anyway so I couldn't see why so many people seem to have to do that.
And I was never "confined to bed" but this last surgery just was rougher for some reason - one because they made me take an antibiotic for 2 days afterward and I was very sensitive to it and had horrible nausea. Had surgery on Wed and went back to work the next Tuesday with no problems. I imagine you'll need help with the dogs - and maybe for a day or two otherwise but that's about it...

Old 03-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

I was never told to ice - elevate as much as possible, of course but no firm directive on that either. I was told by my last surgeon when I asked that icing it restricts blood flow to the toe and that's counter to what they want to happen. I never had much swelling with either toe anyway so I couldn't see why so many people seem to have to do that.
And I was never "confined to bed" but this last surgery just was rougher for some reason - one because they made me take an antibiotic for 2 days afterward and I was very sensitive to it and had horrible nausea. Had surgery on Wed and went back to work the next Tuesday with no problems. I imagine you'll need help with the dogs - and maybe for a day or two otherwise but that's about it...

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
brien25 (03-28-2012)
Closed Thread