It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
(male)

Drk HB User
Smile Broken Fibula

My x-ray shows a one inch break on the outside of my Fibula approximately 1 inch up from the bottom of the fibula. This break just flares out like 1/8 inch and then ends in the bone just below. There appears to be an additional small break inland from the first break mentioned. The clinic Dr., knowing I had no insurance for this, did not cast it but said stay on crutches for 6 weeks. I have lots of swelling, icing and elevating as best I can, this break came from a motorcycle accident so I think it was my ankle impacting the ground so I have contusions or compromised ligaments etc. to go along with the minor break. I also have a puncture wound on the heal.
My question is this; how best to rehabilitate? No weight at all for two weeks, then add some weight to keep the muscles and ligaments healthy, maybe. Walking and bicycling are my life so I want to do the best I can. BTW the motorcycle is going to the highest bidder.

Thanks,
Drk

Old 04-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
(female)

Jenna333 HB User
Re: Broken Fibula

First of all ouch! And if i were you i would try to find some type of insurance or money of some sort to get it fixed properly.
But do your best to stay off of it, because adding weight can increase the severity of the break.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Definitely, give it the full 6 weeks on crutches. THEN start adding weight as tolerated.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Drk (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
(male)

Drk HB User

Thanks to both of you folks for the reply. I will take your advise and wait the 6 weeks to start rehibilitating slowly.

Closed Thread