It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
(male)

pilko HB User
Unhappy Severe Thorobbing after Ankle Arthroscopy and debridment

Folks, reaching out there in the hope someone else has gone through this and found a way to deal with it.

I'm a little over three weeks post OP and having real problems with my ankle throbbing.

Its particualy bad in the evening as I try and lay in bed.

I have three incisions, the two from the Arthroscopy and one 7cm (2.75 inches) where a bone fragment was removed.

I'm going to make an unscheduled appointment with my surgeon as I've already had my initital post op consult where I've gone from the really heavy post op bandage to just using a tublar bandage.

I find at night I can make do if I take the heavy pain killers, but I really would like to wean off them.

I suffer from severe sleep apneau and the heavy pain killers make dealing with CPAP all that bit harder. Not to mention that it really knocks you around.

I find during the day I have other things around me to keep my mind busy but at night the pain consumes me.

I'm taking regular pain killers, I'm keeping my foot elevated as much as I can and I'm icing every few hours.

I'm also doing my Physio (Physcial Therapist) prescribed exercises.

When I mentioned this throbbing to my Doctor today he said it was possible that I could have this for up to six months post surgery.

Surely this isn't the case?

I'm off work still and this is holding me back. I'm remaining largley positive, but this pain is one thing that I'm struggling to push past.

Hope someone is able to help, go easy this is my first post

Thank you,

Ian.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
(male)

tnations HB User
Re: Severe Thorobbing after Ankle Arthroscopy and debridment

I know your pain. I had my surgery May 1st. I am experiencing the swelling and aching daily just as you are. My surgeon said that I would probably be suffering through this for 6 months to a year. I had to have the ankle joint resurfaced, debrided and two tendons reattached to the side of my ankle. During the surgery he also found that my Achilles tendon was ruptured and surgery was also done to repair that injury. I've been prescribed Celebrex, Mobic and Hydrocodone to help relieve the swelling and pain without much relief from either. I have to wear a no weight bearing boot 24/hr a day and hope to have it off in the next month or so. Hopefully, this will ease as times goes by. Physical therapy so far aggravates the issue but I have no choice to proceed as this is an injury I sustained while working at my present job. Workman's Compensation is paying for the surgery and PT. Maybe someone out there will be able to give us a remedy to help stave off the pain.

Tony

Reply Reply

Tags
ankle arthroscopy, debridement, pain, post -op