It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
(male)

kido901 HB User
two broken heels, broken spine and a broken wrist how long will i be out for?

so how long do you think i'll be out for?. I got two plates and 6 pins in my back and I've falling 31 days ago, I'm starting to walk again with great difficulty I'm only 19, a very active young man and just wanting to get back going. My two heals didn't need surgery and my wrist has a cast on it. I fell off a wall about 15ft high down onto a concrete yard. please anyone with similar story's please share! is it too optimistic to be hoping to walk around 40 days after my fall?

The following user gives a hug of support to kido901:
sandiemas (06-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User
Re: two broken heels, broken spine and a broken wrist how long will i be out for?

I guess you are not paralyzed in any way after this broken back?

My gosh I wouldn't even know how to guess when you will be walking again. But if I were gonna say, I'd say about a month or two before your heels are ready to support your weight.

Your wrist is a factor as well because in order to walk with crutches or even a walker, you must use your hands and wrist to support yourself (not your armpits).

As for your back, tell us more. what were you doing up 15 ft and how did it happen?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
(male)

kido901 HB User
Re: two broken heels, broken spine and a broken wrist how long will i be out for?

Firstly I am not paralized at all and I was drunk getting over the wall it was on 8 ft on the side I was initially getting over and I did not realise it was 15 ft on the other side my back is quite sore atm and stiff..I really need to get back to work if anyone knows exercise's i could do please tell or things I could take?.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kido901 View Post
Firstly I am not paralized at all and I was drunk getting over the wall it was on 8 ft on the side I was initially getting over and I did not realise it was 15 ft on the other side my back is quite sore atm and stiff..I really need to get back to work if anyone knows exercise's i could do please tell or things I could take?.
Lesson learned, no climbing tall buildings while drinking? Sorry this happend to you at such a young age. Is it lumbar or cervical, neck or lower back? Where did you get the plate? As far as you heals, did they put you in walking boots? You said no cast. And your wrist when my sister in law shattered her wrist falling from a roof they put plates, etc she was not able to back to work for 3 month but she did a lot of typing. So, what type of work do you do? Did your doctor give you any idea how long you would be out? I would assume at least 3months with all you have going on. Ouch! Hope you get better soon.

As far as exercises you really want to work with a pt guy even if just for one or two sessions to learn the right exercises and stretches that will help you.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 06-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
(male)

kido901 HB User

It was in my lower back that I broke I think vertebrate 4. Yes I had to get the plate in my lower back. As for the drinking I think I've learned my lesson, the joys of being an Irish teenager. I didn't get walking boots for my heels and I work as a carpenter. My wrist isn't to badly broken I'd say 6 weeks at most for the cast I can use crutches atm with my cast on. My doctors are saying up to 6 months before I can go back working which I am distraught about!. My physio is coming in 2 days to see me so hopefully I will make progress. Do anyone know of methods to speed up the healing process?.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kido901 View Post
It was in my lower back that I broke I think vertebrate 4. Yes I had to get the plate in my lower back. As for the drinking I think I've learned my lesson, the joys of being an Irish teenager. I didn't get walking boots for my heels and I work as a carpenter. My wrist isn't to badly broken I'd say 6 weeks at most for the cast I can use crutches atm with my cast on. My doctors are saying up to 6 months before I can go back working which I am distraught about!. My physio is coming in 2 days to see me so hopefully I will make progress. Do anyone know of methods to speed up the healing process?.
Well, lumbar fusions are tricky but you are young and should heal quickly. although I wouldn't push it do to permanent damage and long time consequences. carpentry work is labor intensive so you will be in a lot of pain. I would recommend not smoking if you're a smoker, that slow down the healing process. taking calcium and I multi vitamins I'm sure would help. core strengthening to relieve the pressure off your spine. physical therapy which it sounds like you are starting. eating well and getting lots of rest will speed your recovery. lots of stretches to keep limber. as far as the broken heels walking boots will help with mobility your doctor would know if that is an option for you.

6 months sounds like a long time but if that is what they are recommending I wouldn't go against the doctor's recommendation, good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress. where are you located do you have the option for a short term disability, I know that california has a short term disability that you can get on if you're going to be out for 6 months or under at least you would have some type of compensation well you are trying to get back on your feet.

sorry I don't have more information for you, but best wishes, maybe try the disability or health issues forum they might have more information and suggestions for you.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
(female)

Susan123 HB User

Hey Irish
Being Irish and active too I am having a hard time healing my broken heel. Doc says three months with sitting and foot elevated. I just started a little weight bearing and it's been seven weeks since surgery. As I understand the bone takes eight weeks for density after a break or surgery. Try not to rush things too quickly and have a set back, you need to heal well and healthy, you have a long life ahead. Realize this is a temporary thing and do the best right now for your body.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
(female)

Merlot M HB User

You poor thing! The follies of youth huh!
There aren't any 'quick fixes' to these sort of injuries I'm afraid but, your age is on your side. I would say listen to the physio and don't try to do too much too soon.
One thing I would take is a good quality calcium supplement.
Hope this help some. :-)

Old 07-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
(male)

FreshGreen HB User

Hi,
I to have 2 smashed heels, one has had many hours of surgery with plates etc, the other was borderline so they opted to leave it, I also have had my forearm plated as I also forced the bone into my wrist area, my spine seems ok, just coccyx still sore after 5 weeks.
I also fell/jumped over 15ft onto concrete whilst doing very minor DIY up a ladder/scaffold, its typical because I also have a very rare immune illness and havent done anything for about 5 years and all i was doing was gentle painting of a fascia board! I knew I had lost my hold so I turned and sort of jumped, probably saved either more serious injuries or worse!

Anyway I have also been trying to find out how long I will take to do the basics like walk and drive, I have read some good and bad stories, I am an optimist but also realistic with that, at 40 and taking to many drugs to mention I do have that added issue.

I have added a few foods to my diet to aid the bone marrow and bone recovery, whether it helps or not I won't know but other than the extra cost It won't do any harm ( its only almonds etc ).

My advice to anyone is that being realistic is better for yours and your families mental health because many do get depressed, It's time to knuckle down and prove to yourself that you will walk normally again.
Now optimism is also needed to drive people like us on so we remain sane and make the most of the resting time that is forced on us.

I really hope this helps, it's clear we aren't alone with these injuries but we are all a bit different so recovery times will of course differ.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
(male)

FreshGreen HB User
Smile Re: two broken heels, broken spine and a broken wrist how long will i be out for?

Hi,
I to have 2 smashed heels, one has had many hours of surgery with plates etc, the other was borderline so they opted to leave it, I also have had my forearm plated as I also forced the bone into my wrist area, my spine seems ok, just coccyx still sore after 5 weeks.
I also fell/jumped over 15ft onto concrete whilst doing very minor DIY up a ladder/scaffold, its typical because I also have a very rare immune illness and havent done anything for about 5 years and all i was doing was gentle painting of a fascia board! I knew I had lost my hold so I turned and sort of jumped, probably saved either more serious injuries or worse!

Anyway I have also been trying to find out how long I will take to do the basics like walk and drive, I have read some good and bad stories, I am an optimist but also realistic with that, at 40 and taking to many drugs to mention I do have that added issue.

I have added a few foods to my diet to aid the bone marrow and bone recovery, whether it helps or not I won't know but other than the extra cost It won't do any harm ( its only almonds etc ).

My advice to anyone is that being realistic is better for yours and your families mental health because many do get depressed, It's time to knuckle down and prove to yourself that you will walk normally again.
Now optimism is also needed to drive people like us on so we remain sane and make the most of the resting time that is forced on us.

I really hope this helps, it's clear we aren't alone with these injuries but we are all a bit different so recovery times will of course differ.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
(male)

74vwsunbug HB User

I just did my first post in the ankle fusion & replacement thread above.

Not as many broken bones at you had, but I had a badly shattered ankle, in 1982.

Say your prayers of thanks just for being alive. It's great that you're thinking about walking, and what's more, for a full recovery. You'll probably be off work for about 6 months or so, I'd guess.

I had to eventually get completely out of the construction & remodeling business, but I'm still walking & functioning, at about a 30 - 40 % deficit.

Take your time, work hard, and keep praying for a recovery.

Good Luck to you.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
(male)

74vwsunbug HB User

I just did my first post in the ankle fusion & replacement thread above.

Not as many broken bones at you had, but I had a badly shattered ankle, in 1982 from a construction fall onto concrete.

Say your prayers of thanks just for being alive. It's great that you're thinking about walking, and what's more, for a full recovery. Realistically, you'll probably be off work for about 6 months or so, I'd guess. Hopefully, not longer.

I had to eventually get completely out of the construction & remodeling business, but I'm still able to be walking & functioning, at about a 30 - 40 % deficit.

Take your time, work hard, and keep praying for a recovery.

Good Luck to you.

Reply Reply