It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
(male)

Lukerb HB User
Possible pulled calf muscle

I recently went for a bike ride and while accelerating from a stop, my chain came loose and I nailed the bottom of my calf on the pedal. It hurt, of course, but I continued my ride without anything really out of the ordinary other than the pain. I even went for a run on the rubber track afterwards.

After I got home I noticed this thing was way out of whack. It's like I tore something loose that was holding my calf muscle to my lower leg. All the Googling I've done hasn't really given me the information I need. I can stand on my tip toes fine and walk, go up stairs, run etc without much pain. However, when I do a flat footed calf stretch while standing up, I can only go about 15 degrees forward compared to something like 45 degrees on my other leg. I'll see if I can get some images posted on an image sharing site.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Possible pulled calf muscle

It's probably bruised and swollen inside, which is why it isn't stretching properly, or it might be slightly pulled. Either way the treatment is the same:

Put some ice on it, take a break from the sports for a couple days, don't do anything strenuous or painful with that leg, and see if it improves. If it doesn't, get it checked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply