It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
(female)

Gimp123 HB UserGimp123 HB User
THR and dropfoot

I had my left hip replaced and now have drop foot. Are there others that had this happened? Could this been a result of the surgeon's method - apparently, there is more than one method or way to replace the hip...

Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
(female)

katrae HB User
Re: THR and dropfoot

Hello. This happened to me as well, from a THR done March 28, 2012. My right hip was replaced from the front instead of the back side. This is suppose to be better for the patient in healing, less trauma, etc. I now have foot drop. In May I had an EMG test. My surgeon said the foot drop was caused by a retractor injury on my Sciatic nerve. I'm on my second AFO, much more comfortable that the first, all plastic AFO that fit into my shoe. I see my surgeon again next week and will ask more pointed questions on what I can hope for toward healing. Right now I cannot lift the front of my foot/toes by using my ankle. I have a lot of numbness in foot/ankle/calf. Needless to say, I'm scared. Yet on the other hand, I had no choice about the THR, I was headed for a wheelchair very soon. So in an odd way, I'm much better off than before the surgery.

The following user gives a hug of support to katrae:
Gimp123 (07-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
(female)

Gimp123 HB UserGimp123 HB User

Hi Katrae, welcome to the board. You'll be able to read past and current situations where others have drop foot. I completely understand how confused, anxious and bewildered you are for I was in the same boat. Luckily, through this site I learned of different products available to assist drop foot. More importantly, on June 4, I've had a tendon transfer which will enable to keep the foot at 90 degrees and I'll be able to lift it up and down a bit. No more AFOs nor canes! I had 2 EMG (they're painful so take pain pills before), plus sought a neurosurgeon for possible nerve bypass. Do you have nerve pain too?? Some people don't, but I do.

Some advice is to keep doing your PT exercises - I found the best one being heel rises. This keeps the muscles in shape and you never know, you may only have drop foot temporary!! Wouldn't that be great! ...be careful and keep your attention on walking for many of us have fallen. Not pretty.

I will be more than happy to answer any questions.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
(female)

katrae HB User

Hi again Gimp123, thanks for the caring/understanding reply. So good to be in contact with people who know what foot drop does to a person. The loss of my stability is most frightening, so easy to be thrown off balance. I'm sure you and others here understand. Very true, we have to concentrate, not let our mind wander while walking; or should I say limping. From what I understand, all THR patients limp for a period of time. Of course I have no way of knowing if my limp is the drop foot, or THR. The new, soft AFO that wraps around the ankle is such a huge improvement over the hard plastic divice fitting into the shoe. Well worth the extra cost...................

Thanks for the advice on the PT exercises. I've been extremely faithful to them and adding ankle rotations, picking marble up with my toes, standing on my toes and trying to rock back on my heels as I come down. All kinda pathetic on my part, but I'm trying. These particular exercises cause extra pain, usually growing worse later in the day. Yet I'm trying my best to keep my calf/leg muscles from deteriorating. I have nerve pain and still taking pain meds late in the day plus the Neurontin; thank God for an understanding surgeon.

I only use the walking cane during the night. Neurontin and being sleepy have made me more dizzy. It would be easy to rely on a cane full time for the security, but I've weaned myself away.

I so agree about the EMG test, it is no fun even with pain meds. Thinking at some point I'll have a second one done and plan on taking something like Xanex beforehand as well. The needle behind my knee was the worst.

Very encouraging about your tendon transfer, it sounds like all went well. It couldn't have been an easy decision to make. Surgery of all kinds is extremely frightening. Sorry about your pain, and hopeful in time it will fade. Thinking I read your Sciatic nerve was severed?

Reply Reply