It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
(male)

Enowil HB User
I can't sit still when my right shoulder area is against the backrest.

Hello, My right shoulder blade is very sensitive to pressure, like when I'm sitting in a high backed chair, or sitting up in bed with soft pillows behind my back, or even driving a car. I just a few minutes ago stacked some pillows on the bed and sat down to watch some TV. Immediately before sitting down I felt pretty good. For me that's rare. I'd just gotten out of the tub after a long soak and stuff and was feeling pretty good, but as soon as I sat down and my back hit the soft fluffy pillows behind me, I started squirming and haven't been able to sit still for more than a handful of seconds since, and now I feel almost miserable. Maybe I should get up and do something else. But anyway, if there is any pressure or impingement against my right shoulder blade, or if my right shoulder and upper arm are pinned down in any way, it makes me squirm and squirm and squirm, trying to find a nonexistent comfort spot. One thing is, I have arthritis, and so when there is too much weight on that shoulder blade it hurts a little, enough to make me uncomfortable, but the thing about not being able to sit still when there is something pushing against my shoulder blade, and the thing with my right arm being pinned down making me squirm has been going on for decades, far longer than I have had arthritis. The arthritis is just an added irritant so to speak. I think. My currant doctor has not found any swelling or any kind of deformity to the area. As far as any other possibly relevant medical history goes, I do have chronic rotator cuff tendinitis in both shoulders, diagnosed in 1996, and I have arthritis in my cervical spine, with a bone spur on one vertebrae, but I don't see how any of that exactly has anything to do with me not being able to tolerate pressure against that shoulder blade and right upper arm. On the mental illness side though, I have been advised by more than one doctor as far back as the mid 1990's that I have some obsessive compulsive tendencies. At some point in the past twenty or twenty-five years I have been on many of the SSRIs. It just now occurred to me while writing this and bringing back old memories, that I took Paxil for a while in the late 90's and had some success with it in the OCD area, but it was a very large dose. I'm currently taking one hundred milligrams of the old tricyclic antidepressant, amitriptyline, but not for depression. Does anyone else have this kind of thing going on? If so, then how do you cope with it? It has never occurred to me to ask my current doctor to treat it medicinally, but I have asked him to check it out physically, and he palpated around and did this and that with my right arm and shoulder and didn't find anything wrong except for stiffness and resistance to movement due to the arthritis. So thank for reading this far. If anyone can relate to this and has any advise, please let me know how you deal with it.

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-12-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
(female)

mommaribbit HB User
Re: I can't sit still when my right shoulder area is against the backrest.

You may need to get an Anti Inflamitory Med Like(Mobic) (generic name Meloxicam)I work in a warehouse on my feet for 10 hours a day. My Hips kill me when i get home.(Im 34 and i feel like I've walked around the fair or 6 flags all day when i go home)My hips ache so bad I cant sleep!!!! My Doctor gave me Mobic(an anti inflamitory) to reduce the swelling(since im walking so much)and also Ambien to sleep( I work nights 8pm-6am)I also have Tramadol 50 mg for the hip pain. Just talk to your doctor... With my insurance and al 3 meds it cost me 22$. Its worth a shot!!!!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
(male)

Enowil HB User
Re: I can't sit still when my right shoulder area is against the backrest.

I know how you feel. I'm familiar with Mobic. I've taken it before. I may even have one or two unused refills on it. I'll have to check. Right now I'm just taking Naproxen Sodium, 220 mg., two about every six or eight hours. It's generic for Aleve. IDK. Seems like one NSAID is as good as any other. I've tried most of them, including the newer expensive ones that were pulled off the market for being too connected with the incidence of heart attack. I too work at night, 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM as a security guard at a local utility power plant, but unfortunately I'm employed by a small time security service rather than the city owned utility, so I don't have insurance. I walk a check point route once an hour that's equal to about 3.2 miles a night, and I try to power walk at least six of the eight rounds a night. That's all the exercise I get, and it is probabley the only thing that's keeping arthritis and gout from taking me over. When I'm not on round I'm sitting at a desk. When I get up to go on round the first couple minutes just getting out to where the check point route starts, at least the route I take starts, is the toughest part. My knees and hips are stiff and sore from being cooped up under a desk for fifty minutes or so, and my balance is terrible because my lower limbs are so stiff that I can't react fast enough to the little subtleties in the terrain. But when I get to where I start and push of hard and start the chronograph on my watch, I always time the power walks, it helps give me the incentive to keep it up, the pain almost immediately subsides, at least enough to allow me to push through with a good effort for the six-and-one-half to seven-and-one-half minutes it takes to finish. If I walked at a normal pace it'd take eleven or twelve minutes, so I'm pretty proud of just being able to do it, except that I don't think my doctor exactly agrees with me. He told me I'd better be careful or I could injure myself and make things worse. I know one thing for sure. Before I started power walking the check point rounds there were many many nights when I literally almost could not walk at all due to gout pain and/or stiffness, for days at a time. I'd have to limp around slowly and it'd take fifteen or twenty minutes. I started this power walking while in remission after a round of prednisone last November or December, and since then the days where I have had to limp and go super slow because of pain are almost entirely gone. Before I'd usually call off at least once a month because I couldn't walk or couldn't get my shoes on because of the stiffness in my knees or gout in my feet, but since I started power walking I haven't missed a day. I still have bad days, but they are few and far between. Like I said above, the pain is there everyday but now I can overcome it.
That was a long story. I am also familier with Tramadol and that hypnotic you spoke of, I forget the name of it. It's pretty much out of the question. I have a history my current doctor is only partially aware of of abusing such medications. He rarely gives me a scheduled medication, and then usually the weaker strength, which does me absolutely no good, as I have a very high tolerance for what I call feel good drugs. I've never lied to get narcotics or anything like that, but when I had them I often didn't take them according to instructions, which often meant running out early and having to back and ask for more. Yada yada yada. So anyway, like you, I hang in there and do the best I can. Maybe I'll broach the subject of some kind of pain treatment in addition to the NSAIDs. The NSAIDs are supposed to be for pain AND inflammation, but you know how that is. Thanks for the reply.

Reply Reply