It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
(female)

Lausa HB User
Unhappy Facing multiple surgeries (overlapping toe), then TKR (R & L). Confused & Scared!

Feet: Right foot - severe overlapping 2nd toe, first toe drifted underneath 2nd toe. (History; bilateral bunionectomies & osteotomies in 1974; bilateral bunionectomies and hammertoe corrections in 2005; Left hammertoe correction, 2006.

Basically, I have two failed surgeries for both hammertoe and bunions. Left foot is severe, right foot managed by prosthetic devices.

Knees: Bone on bone osteoarthritis, lateral collapse. I am so knock-kneed! Can feel it worsen the more I use them. Have been told both knees need TKR.

Next problem: I am 62, overweight (I try to workout as much as legs allow), and live in a house with a beautiful curving staircase with 21 steps. No bedroom or bathroom downstairs. Very concerned about getting up and down stairs as soon as possible.

Orthopedic foot surgeon wants to do extensive corrections to R foot that involved cutting metatarsal, resecting hammertoe, placing pins, screws and a metal plate in my foot. Have been told 8 weeks of non-weight bearing!

At this point, my foot mainly bothers me because I keep getting sores on the point of the hammertoe. They take antibiotics and months to heal, so I do my level best to prevent them. Still, they happen.

What I REALLY want to get fixed: my KNEES. I do not want to suffer through painful foot surgery if there is another way. I did this at age 22 and remember all too well that it was nearly a year before I was really mobile again. That is a year I don't have before I get my knees done. I am just to crippled to wait.

My rheumatologist listened to me as I explained that maybe I didn't need state of the art feet, but functional feet that didn't get open sores. He asked if I had ever considered AMPUTATION! At first I was shocked, but as I read more about it online, I became curious.

Is there anyone who has had their second toe amputated?

I would love to know details, problems, recovery time, any any other information you can share. How long would it take to become ambulatory again to the point that I could have my knee surgery>

Please excuse my wordiness.

Last edited by Lausa; 08-07-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Wanted to include descriptor "overlapping toe" and couldn't find a tag for it

The following user gives a hug of support to Lausa:
MountainReader (08-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
bunion hammertoe surgery, hammertoe sx gone wrong, knee surgery, tkr