It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
(male)

damz68 HB User
Help with Broken Ankle

Three weeks ago I broke my ankle in the worst possible way, all three bones broke and dislocated. The pain is pretty bad but not near as bad as having this 25 pound cast wraped around my leg. I have always had issues with panic, anxiety and depression and never really thought it could get much worse. With the broken ankle my panic, anxiety and depression are horrible. I am not really sure why the panic is so bad. Maybe because I can no longer run away from trouble. Maybe its the claustrophobic feeling I get with this cast on me. What I do know is that I have no control and I am so uncomfortable feeling this way.

Is it normal to feel this way with a broke ankle. Does anyone have any tips on how I can deal with it better?

Thanks,
Derek

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Help with Broken Ankle

Hi Derek, yes I kinda went thru the same thing w/ my achilles surgery. However, I did get a ice machine to wrap around the cast to keep the foot cool (I have hot feet) and it really helped with that feeling. Is your foot hot? Keep ice on it as much as you can. Maybe you can get an ice machine but you have to have someone fill it up w/ bagged ice for you about every 6 hours. Does help keep the swelling down.

As far as being so limited for so long that got frustrating too. Have you been out of the house yet? Try to get out some if you can or sit on the porch or whatever if your foot allows it. I remember right around week 5 I really lost it and cried and threw stuff and just had a big old fit. Probably could have used some anti-anxiety meds, huh? should have thought of that. I used a foot scooter thing instead of crutches too that helped (being a girl w/ no upper body strength). Really helps getting around. It will get a little easier once you get into a walking cast and stuff, just hang in there.

Hope you feel better soon, cj

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #3
(female)

kare62 HB User

Hi yes I have had the same severe depression it is a huge change in lifestyle .
I am usually independent and been in a plaster cast for 6 weeks really was hard so understand what you are going through.
I had a wheelchair as I also had no upper body strength for crutches.
I am now struggling to walk I guess I lost my confidence all my thoughts for you both and hopefully we can evolve and grow from been pinned down . All the best.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
(male)

damz68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no34evr View Post
Hi Derek, yes I kinda went thru the same thing w/ my achilles surgery. However, I did get a ice machine to wrap around the cast to keep the foot cool (I have hot feet) and it really helped with that feeling. Is your foot hot? Keep ice on it as much as you can. Maybe you can get an ice machine but you have to have someone fill it up w/ bagged ice for you about every 6 hours. Does help keep the swelling down.

As far as being so limited for so long that got frustrating too. Have you been out of the house yet? Try to get out some if you can or sit on the porch or whatever if your foot allows it. I remember right around week 5 I really lost it and cried and threw stuff and just had a big old fit. Probably could have used some anti-anxiety meds, huh? should have thought of that. I used a foot scooter thing instead of crutches too that helped (being a girl w/ no upper body strength). Really helps getting around. It will get a little easier once you get into a walking cast and stuff, just hang in there.

Hope you feel better soon, cj
Hey CJ, thanks for the reply. I do get out of the house as much as possible. I think most of my problems were related to the pain meds. I have been off the meds for 2 days and things are getting better.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

good to hear! yeah they can do that to you. hope you continue to improve, Cathy

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
damz68 (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
(male)

damz68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kare62 View Post
Hi yes I have had the same severe depression it is a huge change in lifestyle .
I am usually independent and been in a plaster cast for 6 weeks really was hard so understand what you are going through.
I had a wheelchair as I also had no upper body strength for crutches.
I am now struggling to walk I guess I lost my confidence all my thoughts for you both and hopefully we can evolve and grow from been pinned down . All the best.
SIX WEEKS! I was in a cast for 2 weeks. I had surgery and 1 more week in a cast. Now I am in a walking cast. I can not put any pressure on the foot for 3 weeks. I only put the cast on when I am about. Otherwise, I am suppose to have cast off and foot elevated with ice. Also, I have to sleep with cast off. That means my surgically repaired leg is exposed all night! I was very nervous the first night. I really feel for you having to be in a cast for that long! It feels so good to take that cast off and move my foot back and forth.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
(female)

kare62 HB User

Hi yes six weeks was so hard I never want to go through that again.
I took my first steps today so I guess it is a start.
All the best with your healing

Reply Reply