It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

footiefan25 HB User
Ankle Problems

I tore my ATFL and CFL ligaments in my ankle back in April this year. I have been having problems since then and had arthroscopy 3 weeks ago. The surgeon didn't repair the torn ligaments, but found thickened tissue in the joint which was causing impingement and restricting my ankle.
He removed this tissue and left it at that.

I know my surgery was only recent but I got cleared to do whatever I feel comfortable doing (running/ jumping/ playing soccer) but right now I still don't feel like I can run. I don't have full range of motion yet, and playing soccer is not an option right now.

In my appointment today I didn't even see the doctor, I saw his PA and found that my peroneal tendons were popping over my lateral malleolus, (not complete subluxion but you can see and feel it popping everytime I move my foot from inversion to eversion and back again.) He went on to say that they would put it in my notes but said nothing more. I talked to my team trainer today and now we've found a problem with my peroneal tendon he seemed concerned that they didn't repair the ligaments, and/ or do anything about my peroneal tendon. Is this something to be worried about? Or would they only fix these if I have repeated problems? I'm worried about getting back into soccer and not feeling comfortable and/ or injuring it again. I have another follow up appointment in a month, but should I make an appointment sooner to talk more about the peroneal tendon or just leave it? I wanted to be back playing before I go back to the doctor but I'm worried I'm going to waste even more time if I wait to see him then.

Sorry for the rant but I'm just confused and frustrated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Ankle Problems

Perhaps the surgeon wanted to see how much recovery you'd get just from the scar tissue removal. ATFL or peroneal tendon repair would be quite a bit harder to recover from, but in your case it might be necessary.

Are you currently in physical therapy? I can tell you that at 3 weeks out from my arthroscopic debridement, I still wasn't 100%, and at 6 weeks I was a lot better.

Leave a message with your surgeon that you want to discuss the possibility of further procedures to repair tendons or ligaments. See what he says.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
(female)

footiefan25 HB User

Thank you,
I am in physical therapy and have been since April which is the last time I sprained it and when this injury occurred. Do you know how much popping in the peroneal tendon means that it is subluxing? Mine doesn't dislocate all the way across, but you can feel it pop in and out the groove. I'm not trying to be a hypochondriac or anything I just want to be fixed asap rather than eventually getting back into playing while having pain and problems and then go back in for surgery! I've had two knee surgeries before (both also soccer injuries)and I'm only 20 so I'm just getting fed up of the doctors brushing it off like it's nothing and months down the line having to have surgery.

Thanks again for your reply!

Old 08-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, if it's popping in and out of the groove, it's subluxing. Sometimes nonsurgical measures work, and it's worth trying because the surgery has a pretty significant recovery time, but about 50% of the time you wind up needing surgery anyway.

Reply Reply

Tags
ankle arthroscopy, ankle injury, ankle ligament, ankle problem