It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Thumbs up T/N and Subtalar Fusions- Exogen 4000 Users?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread: Injured by Physical Therapist

Search Thread
Display

09-02-2012, 12:13 AM #1
Ladykanner
Ladykanner is online now Junior Member

Default Injured by Physical Therapist

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: Ohio

On April 20th I had extensive ankle arthrodesis surgery where two of my ankle joints were fused together. As part of this surgery, I spent a long amount of time in a cast waiting for the fusions to finish with the bone growth. After being in a cast from April 20 until the beginning of July, I was put into a walking boot and to gradually work my way into wearing shoes. The doctor ordered me to begin physical therapy. Everything went fine for the first few visits and progress appeared to be going well as planned. Approximately the 4th visit or so, I was surprised to show up and find that they had me working one-on-one with a girl who was not certified and was in her clinicals for school. At this point, I still had and still have limited range of motion in my foot due to being immobilized for so long. She explained to me that she wanted to "test my strength" and instructed me to hold my foot up while she pushed it down. I have had this done in the past by the actual physical therapist and my surgeon and every other time, gentle pressure was applied and all went fine. This time however, the girl working with me proceeded to apply a fast hard pressure forcing my foot into a position it was not yet able to be in. I immediately came up off the table cursing and told her she best not do that again. I was crying from the intense pain that came with this. The next visit I came in, I said something to the Physical Therapy assistant I was working with and the Physical Therapist about what happened last time. Since that visit I had experience some more pain in that area and some popping that I had not been experiencing before that incident. I went to the doctor about two to three weeks afterwards and told him what happened and that I had popping. He immediately put me back into the walking boot (I had fully progressed to shoes) and ordered me to have a CT Scan. I had the results last week and met with my doctor. The CT scan showed that the new bone growth had been broken. I had not experienced any other trauma to my joint that would have lead to such an injury. The doctor is trying to use a bone growth stimulator to get that regrowth to regrow but should that not work I am looking at another surgery. Have any of you used the Exogen 4000 and if you dont mind, please share your results. I am a bit apprehensive about its effectiveness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
ankle fusion, arthrodesis, subtalar joint fusion