It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
(female)

kas719 HB User
Unhappy hip pain radiating to groin

alright well I have had this hip/groin pain for almost 6 months now(I'm 20 and a female by the way).. It hurts no matter what weather I'm sitting, standing, walking, or laying down... I have been to a doctor and got xrays.. when the xray tech was looking at them I saw "tree branch" looking lines in that area but the doctor never said anything about it.. I'm almost crippled after just 4 hours of work.. If I had to rate it on a scale of 1-10 I would say its about a 6 at the beginning of the day and a 9.5 at the end of the day... my family thinks its fractures ( my aunt is a RN)... But they also think it could be a simple as bursitis....

Old 09-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: hip pain radiating to groin

Pain in the hip/groin can be from arthritis in hip joint, osteoporosis, or a tear in the labrum (cartilage) in the socket. I would see an orthopedic Dr and take your previous xrays with you. An MRI and bone density test may be needed to diagnose what is wrong. Avascular necrosis is uncommon, but a possibility. You are very young to be having such a severe joint problem. It seems to be worse after prolonged weight bearing at end of day. Some blood tests to rule out inflammatory arthritis in hip could be helpful as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
(male)

mcdonaldmini HB User

It is important to differentiate true hip pain from other types of pain in the hip region. True hip pain is felt towards the front, in the groin region.

Remedies for dealing with rheumatoid arthritis pain are now available in the market. Anti-rheumatic drugs, NSAIDS or anti-inflammatory drugs which are non-steroidal, and corticosteroids are given. Arthritis is a term that includes a group of disorders which effect combined parts and muscle tissue. Arthritis signs include discomfort, inflammation and restricted movement of combined parts.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
(male)

traveler3309 HB Usertraveler3309 HB User

I am about to have hip replacement surgery for the same problem that you are describing in your post. The " tree branch" that you have described is what is seen in my studies also and I have been to numerous orthopedic surgeons that all conclude that I have AVN. I have been dealing with this for some time and it has gotten worse with the pain radiating to my groin area and back region which is a sign of AVN. The only treatment for AVN is at first physical therapy to try and strengthen the hip joint area and ultimately surgery. I will be having the surgery in another month and hopefully will be getting some much needed relief from pain. Good luck to you.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
(female)

kas719 HB User

I have been feeling it in the front alot more then usual... And over the weekend I noticed that my hip has been "popping" when I move in certian directions..

Old 09-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I hope you see an orthopedic Dr ASAP. if for nothing else, to get a diagnosis and what treatment options you might have. Some conditions get much worse with delayed treatment, so I would not wait. You have already had this 6 months. I would get your actual films or disc from xrays, and xray report to take with you.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
kas719 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
(female)

kas719 HB User

When I went to a doctor he told me just to take it easy and the pain should go away in a couple months, that was 4 months ago now.. I'm in as much maybe even more pain now... My right leg has been weak in the morning when I wake up and the pain is horrible.. Its never on the out side of my hip but on the inside near my groin.. And my hip pops when I work out and I have limited movement in both of my hips..

Old 10-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Please see an orthopedic Dr and insist on xrays or some imaging studies if it isn't suggested (can't imagine it won't be). Forget what the previous Dr told you-I think he didn't give you good advice.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

You might want to check into the possibility that this is a lower lumbar spine issue. It is quite common to have pain in the hip and/or groin area when there is an issue with the L5-S1 disc or in that general area of that level. When the spinal nerve is compressed, it can radiate pain out anywhere along the path of
hat nerve.

Were you an athlete in high school?

Old 10-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
(female)

laugh123 HB User

Hi Kas,

I'm a 24 yr old female and have had 2 hip arthoscopic surgeries. It took me 5 years for an orthopedist to properly diagnose my condition so i wanted to pass along mine in case it saves you time in fixing your problem! It's called Femoral Acetabular Impingment (FAI) and with that i had a labral tear. FAI means there is too much both on either or both your femoral head and socket of your hip joint. Hospital for Special Surgery and NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases are two places to check out. FAI is just now started to get attention medically and the surgery is newer so that i why many doctors don't properly diagnose hip/groin pain.

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #11
(female)

laugh123 HB User

Hi Kas,

I'm a 24 yr old female and have had 2 hip arthoscopic surgeries. It took me 5 years for an orthopedist to properly diagnose my condition so i wanted to pass along mine in case it saves you time in fixing your problem! It's called Femoral Acetabular Impingment (FAI) and with that i had a labral tear. FAI means there is too much both on either or both your femoral head and socket of your hip joint. Hospital for Special Surgery and NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases are two places to check out. FAI is just now started to get attention medically and the surgery is newer so that is why many doctors don't properly diagnose hip/groin pain.

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
(male)

traveler3309 HB Usertraveler3309 HB User

I have had the same issue that your describing and have been diagnosed with AVN (Avascular Necrosis) which I am getting surgery for in another two weeks. If in NY I would check out the two hospitals listed in the previous post, they are in the top ten in country. I will be having my surgery done in Joint Diseases. The only thing that helps me when the pain is bad is ice and the use of a cane to relieve the pressure when you walk.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
(female)

bethcar HB User

do you have any swelling. i have very similar symptoms and was dx with synovitis. you need to see an orthopedic doc... preferably one who can do surgery to save money and time. did you get a copy of imaging report and a copy of xray on disc or actual xray to show doc and even just read it yourself. doctors lie, overlook details, etc. you are too young to give up. keep trying to find answers

Reply Reply