It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
(male)

twocalis HB User
tendon and ligament healing in post polio survivourss

Hello.
I am a 60 year old polio survivor and I have been using two KAFO leg braces full time for the last 23 years since my legs weakened by PSS would no longer support my weight without collapsing.
Three Weeks ago A six pack of beer fell from a cupboard onto my unprotected foot crushing it onto the foot plate of my wheelchair,

The foot came up like a balloon I went to the A&E at the hospital, it was x-rayed but no fracture found, but there was ligament and tendon damage. It was wrapped up and I returned in 10 days later after the swelling had gone down and it was put into a cast for 2 weeks.

I have read in several sites that people who have PS take a lot longer (up to 4 times longer) to recover from this type of injury.

I donít think that the orthopaedic doctor at the hospital is used to treating polio patients and I donít want to start wearing my KAFO and putting strain on the foot too soon.
I was told to do this about 12 years ago when I sprained my ankle and was told I could put weight on it only to stuck in a cast for three months because it hadnít healed properly.
Does anyone have any experience of this?

Phil.

The following user gives a hug of support to twocalis:
MountainReader (09-23-2012)
Reply Reply

Tags
ligament repair, muscle atrophy, polio, tendon damage