It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
(female)

Sigrid88 HB User
Still in pain after ankle fusion - Anyone else?

Hello everyone!

I'm a 24 year old girl from Norway, Scandinavia (please excuse my grammar, haha!) I'm hoping to get in touch with others who have undergone ankle fusion, and I'm interested to learn how your life has been after this surgery. I'm born with clubfoot on both feet, and about 5 years ago I started developing pain in my right ankle which gradually got more and more intense. X-rays later on revealed damaged cartilage in my right ankle, as I'm sadly more exposed to injury due to my clubfoot instability. To make a long story short; I ended up fusing my ankle because my surgeon told me it was my best chance to get a pain free life.

Well, let's just say that pain free is so far from the truth as it can possibly get at this point. A couple of months after the fusion my ankle was in more pain than ever before and i could hardly walk. After being in and out of hospitals, arguing with surgeons to take me seriously, they concluded to try and remove the screws inside the ankle, as they can cause irritation. So this summer I had another surgery done to get them removed. It got a little better after this, but I'm still having a nagging pain on the right side of my ankle with heavy swelling after walking short distances, and great discomfort overall in my ankle. A CT scan showed recently that a peice of bone fragment is "floating" around on the side where the pain appears, but my surgeon don't want to do anything about it and only told me to get stronger pain meds..

I got ortopedic shoes and soles, but it doesn't work that much. I find rocker shoes extremely difficult to walk in first of all because my foot is so short, and with a fused ankle as well makes it even more difficult to get that proper rolling movement. The stiffness in the remaining joints in the lower foot is now also very painful, and I can really feel the pressure every time I walk. I've also started noticing some light pain in my hips and knee from time to time, but despite this I try to stay active as best as I can with ellipticals and bicycling, as I'm afraid of gaining weight.

I have to admit the outcome of the fusion surgery did not live up to my expectations. I'm even more disabled now than before I had it done, and I kinda regret it now. I'm so tired of living each day in pain, visiting hospitals, surgeries and doctors not taking me seriously. All I want is my life back, and not to mention my social life. I have missed out on so many things over the last few years, and I'm growing more and more depressed. It's just no end to this it seems. I'm sorry for the negativity, but it felt good letting out some "steam". I feel very alone, as I don't know anyone around my age who's had the same procedure done. I will greatly appreciate any experiences anyone might have regarding this

Sincerely,
Sigrid

Last edited by Sigrid88; 10-16-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
(female)

zivamarie HB User
Re: Still in pain after ankle fusion - Anyone else?

had fussion done 2 years ago and like u i still have alot of pain, my fussion was due to a very bad break, have had a bone scan and surgeon says nothing showing up on it and to let it rest for another while, as an active mum i dont no what the word "rest" means. i am due back in april and will see what they going to do

Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mr smith1986 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigrid88 View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm a 24 year old girl from Norway, Scandinavia (please excuse my grammar, haha!) I'm hoping to get in touch with others who have undergone ankle fusion, and I'm interested to learn how your life has been after this surgery. I'm born with clubfoot on both feet, and about 5 years ago I started developing pain in my right ankle which gradually got more and more intense. X-rays later on revealed damaged cartilage in my right ankle, as I'm sadly more exposed to injury due to my clubfoot instability. To make a long story short; I ended up fusing my ankle because my surgeon told me it was my best chance to get a pain free life.

Well, let's just say that pain free is so far from the truth as it can possibly get at this point. A couple of months after the fusion my ankle was in more pain than ever before and i could hardly walk. After being in and out of hospitals, arguing with surgeons to take me seriously, they concluded to try and remove the screws inside the ankle, as they can cause irritation. So this summer I had another surgery done to get them removed. It got a little better after this, but I'm still having a nagging pain on the right side of my ankle with heavy swelling after walking short distances, and great discomfort overall in my ankle. A CT scan showed recently that a peice of bone fragment is "floating" around on the side where the pain appears, but my surgeon don't want to do anything about it and only told me to get stronger pain meds..

I got ortopedic shoes and soles, but it doesn't work that much. I find rocker shoes extremely difficult to walk in first of all because my foot is so short, and with a fused ankle as well makes it even more difficult to get that proper rolling movement. The stiffness in the remaining joints in the lower foot is now also very painful, and I can really feel the pressure every time I walk. I've also started noticing some light pain in my hips and knee from time to time, but despite this I try to stay active as best as I can with ellipticals and bicycling, as I'm afraid of gaining weight.

I have to admit the outcome of the fusion surgery did not live up to my expectations. I'm even more disabled now than before I had it done, and I kinda regret it now. I'm so tired of living each day in pain, visiting hospitals, surgeries and doctors not taking me seriously. All I want is my life back, and not to mention my social life. I have missed out on so many things over the last few years, and I'm growing more and more depressed. It's just no end to this it seems. I'm sorry for the negativity, but it felt good letting out some "steam". I feel very alone, as I don't know anyone around my age who's had the same procedure done. I will greatly appreciate any experiences anyone might have regarding this

Sincerely,
Sigrid
hi there my names gary i had the excat same problem i crashed my motorbike when i was 20(26 now) and crushed my left leg which healed fine apart from my left ankle which caused me server pain over the next few years and then eventually i went to see my surgeon who advise me to get an ankle fusion so last year in 2012 i did now a year later my ankle is worse than ever it has gone a deep red color even goes purple when ive been walking longer than 10 minutes and the pain gets unbearable i spend most my days sat on my *** trying not to put to much strain on my ankle as i got told if i keep working on my feet and being a very active person i will be in a wheel chair by the time im 40 which is concerning but now i have a baby boy who i want to be able to take on walks and play football with id love just to be ale to run round the park with him when he gets older but as it stands that will never happen so i totally understand how you feel and how depressing it can be your not on your own and if you want to talk about it my email is in my profile but i hope this as help sorry its abit long winded lol but stay happy and keep on at the doctors because you can have an ankle replacement which ive looked into.

yours sincerely

gary.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
(female)

painintherear HB User

I am in the same boat with you both. I was in an auto accident 3/12 and had multiple fractures, the worst was my left ankle which was crushed and now fused. I have lots of pain, swelling, and still can not walk on mine. I find myself contemplating as to whether or not I would have been better off if they would have amputated my foot, but then I feel guilty for even thinking this.
I was watching the news tonight, and they were interviewing one of the victims that had a badly damaged foot. They gave her the option of keeping her foot and struggling with it the rest of her life or amputating it and she chose to amputate hers. I also saw someone mention ankle replacement, I would love to hear more about it if anyone finds out more.

Reply Reply

Tags
ankle fusion, ankle pain, experiences