It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
(male)

teeps2k HB User
Displaced fracture 5th metatarsal non-union

Hello-

Today is October 20. I broke the fifth metatarsal on my left foot on May9. The immediate Xray showed and extremely broken, displaced 5th metatarsal, in at least 3 pieces. I was on crutches for a few weeks as I discussed thing with my orthopedist. He sent me to his colleague, a foot doctor and apparently one of the best in the area, conservative about surgery. He looked at it and gave me the option of surgery. Given the break, I jumped at it and he secured the bones together with a plate, wire and 5 screws... as there were actually 4 pieces. I was on crutches for about 2 months (aircast after a month but non weight bearing), with monthly Xrays. Eacht ime he said there was minimal healing but that the plate would keep things in place. After 2 months, I went to weight bearing, but kept the aircast. Doctor told me that I didn't need to keep the cast on all the time, but no running or anything like that. I cleared all activity with him before I did it, including a musical in which I wore relatively unforgiving dress shoes. Each time I got an xray, he said that there was still not much healing, but nothing to worry about.

Then in late September, the monthly Xray showed that the plate had cracked. I had much more pain. He said that the plate may still have done its job and to come back in a month or two for an xray. After three days of pain (still in aircast), I went back and asked for a hard cast.

I am using an Exogen bone stimulator and am in a hard cast. We have set the next xray for 3 weeks and will discuss further surgery at that point.

How frequent is this type of problem? What's the next step? Is it possible that I will heal and still be able to be active/run.. maybe not play soccer but at least go back to jogging? Would it be prudent to get a second opinion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply