It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
(female)

Jrobinso HB User
Walking after ankle surgery

I broke ankle and dislocated bones in my foot approx 6 months ago. My question is approximately how long does it take for an individual to walk without limping? I am going to physical therapy and making progress but my ankle is still hard to bend completely.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
(female)

brokenweed HB User
Re: Walking after ankle surgery

I had a trimalleolar fracture of my ankle (all 3 ankle bones) and could walk without a limp after 3 months. Are you doing your physical therapy exercises at home? Most of mine needed to be done at home 2x a day. The PT needs to be aggressive and it will not be comfortable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
(female)

Jilly Jill HB User

I had just sprained my ankle about 8 months back. I am currently recovering from arthroscopy surgery two weeks ago because I still had pain and a limp even after 8 months. I am to still go another 4 weeks with crutches, boot and no weight bearing. I am hoping this does it. Maybe see if your dr can get you an MRI if you haven't already to see if there's cartilage torn, or anything that needs cleaned out. I actually had one dr. tell me the MRI and X-rays didn't show anything major and to be patient. After I nudged him further, he recommended his colleague and it was a different story. I saw the surgery photos, there was a lot of damage. Maybe get a second opinion to be safe as well. I personally feel 6 months or more, maybe get rechecked.

Last edited by Jilly Jill; 10-24-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
(female)

megan0250 HB User

Hi, I had ORIF ankle surgery and it took me about 8 mos total to walk without a limp. I think that you should make sure to do all of your physical therapy exercises religiously. I can only speak from my expereince but I made sure to do my range of motion exercises all the time and I feel that helped me a lot.

Reply Reply