It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

megan0250 HB User
Unhappy should I have metal removed from my ankle?

Hi,

I broke my fibula and tore a ligament on the inside of my right ankle about 16 mos ago and had ORIF surgery. I had a plate and 7 screws inserted into the bone. My last check-up with my doctor went ok and he said that the bone has healed nicely.

I have been having a lot of pain and discomfort above the plate/ under the scar over the past few months and am considering having the metal removed. I have also found that I cannot do certain yoga poses as it hurts too much. I'm only 24 and don't want to feel this disabled forever.

My doctor mentioned that patients typically leave the metal in unless it "bothers them". I have come to the conclusion that it is really bothering me as I am in a lot of pain daily. I also have a shooting pain a few times a week that stops me in my tracks (it feels like a nerve sensation of some sorts)

I wanted to see if anyone else has had their metal removed and whether or not it will help to undergo another surgery

Thanks in advance

Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
(male)

dave4934 HB User
Re: should I have metal removed from my ankle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan0250 View Post
Hi,

I broke my fibula and tore a ligament on the inside of my right ankle about 16 mos ago and had ORIF surgery. I had a plate and 7 screws inserted into the bone. My last check-up with my doctor went ok and he said that the bone has healed nicely.

I have been having a lot of pain and discomfort above the plate/ under the scar over the past few months and am considering having the metal removed. I have also found that I cannot do certain yoga poses as it hurts too much. I'm only 24 and don't want to feel this disabled forever.

My doctor mentioned that patients typically leave the metal in unless it "bothers them". I have come to the conclusion that it is really bothering me as I am in a lot of pain daily. I also have a shooting pain a few times a week that stops me in my tracks (it feels like a nerve sensation of some sorts)

I wanted to see if anyone else has had their metal removed and whether or not it will help to undergo another surgery

Thanks in advance
I had about a 10" plate put on my right fibula just above the ankle. I had also
broken the tibia just below the knee. Doc advised me to leave it for a year then decide but I would be immoble for as long as when plate was put in.
After a year it didn't bother me except when jogging long distance. I left it in.. If you are in daily pain you may consider removing. My doc related to me that only remove if absolutely necessary due to infection risks of that area. That didn't make sense to me as I just had surgery and was okay but I decided not to remove as I didn't want to be non weight bearing for another 10 weeks. Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to dave4934 For This Useful Post:
megan0250 (10-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply