It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Star6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB User
Exclamation Ankle Syndesmosis reoccuring injury now being recomended for surgery? History Include

Hey all,

For 3 years now i have had a reoccurring Syndesmosis injury so much so that it has gotten to the stage that i am now being recommended for surgery.

Anyway will start at the beginning this happened 3 years ago and for the first 18 months nothing really showed up and everyone was saying it was in my head and nothing was injured however it wasn't getting better. 18 months down the track i finally went and saw a physio who has worked in the army and knew exactly what i had which was bet your name ankle Syndesmosis or a high ankle sprain. i worked with the physio to help get it better for quite awhile and it came slightly better but i never lost the instability and went over on it regularly but it was better for about 2 years then i decided to start at the gym went to the gym and felt a bit weak in those ankle joints after so hence was limping a little the gyms physio asked can he look at it and moved it all around pressed in my ATFL etc and caused so much pain i could cry and i felt stretching etc of the ligaments as he moved the ankle around. After that my symptoms just got worse till it got to one morning when i had a blue and purple foot and we decided to head into the emergency department to get it checked out.

It was x rayed and nothing came up however they passed a referral onto my doctor who then sent me for ct and MRI scans the ct came up with nothing however the MRI came up with high ankle sprain to the Syndesmosis with likely injury to the AITF. Also had ?Grade 2 injury to ATFL with high signal seen associated with the calcaneofibular ligament

i have now though been on crutches with an inability to weight bear properly for 11 weeks due to pain and have re injured it 2 times just this time 3 times all together and am constantly going over on my foot i cant even sleep without getting pains through my ankle where these ligaments are. I am so tired and exhausted i have been working with my physio and hes also recommending we go to see an orthopedic to get it fixed.

what i am wondering though is do you still think surgery is the best way to go to be honest i feel like its my last chance at a normal life but am not sure what others will come back with for it. And to be honest i don't want to keep going with conservative methods as its no longer working for me and my ankle isn't getting better i roll just constantly and then cause it to hurt and play up later i cant even walk flat footed have to walk on the side of my foot as rolling from there doesn't cause as much pain. oh and i also have a dusky pink/blue foot that is cold regularly.

Just please i need to hear others opinions about this as i haven't found much on the internet. please help i really need it right now as i am just loosing my mind here but i also don't have private health cover so don't know when things could be done but yes thanks for the help i just want to hear others experience and how it all worked out for them as i am 26 years old and don't want to live like this with my ankle the rest of my life its ruining it at the moment and i just want that life back thanks. Has anyone else had this sort of thing occur? please help me out here Thanks

Last edited by Star6; 10-26-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply