It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
(female)

sspayd05 HB User
Ankle Pain, Back problems??

Hello all. It has been awhile since I have posted here. In the last few months I have noticed some intense ankle pain. I have always had stiffness and weakness in the morning because of back issues, but most recently I have experienced sharp pains in my right ankle on the outside bone. Normally occurs when I stand up. It is almost like I have tweaked it some how when I get up. The pain is so intense that I feel like I am going to fall to the ground. I have not injured it in any way, don't play sports, run or do any extremely strenous activities.
Wondering if this could be caused by my back issues. I was diagnosed with stenosis when I was 22 (2005) years old. L5-S1 was herniated at that time and 2 years ago I underwent an ALIF surgery because it had ruptured and disc space was only 8mm. Surgery went well and leg pain immediately improved. A few months later I noticed severe hip pain, but played it off as result of not being able to take any anti-inflammatories after surgery and my SI joint dysfunction. Fast forward to Feb of this year and found out L4 and T11 were bulging. Left leg was weak and stiffness in back was getting worse. Dr wanted to "deaden" my facet joint nerves, but I opted not to at the time.

Other than daily pain which I have gotten use to with my back, I feel like I do ok. Until recently, especially with the pain in my ankle. Could this be caused from any of my back issues or could it be something else? Thank you in advance for all your help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Ankle Pain, Back problems??

Is the pain localized to just a particular spot on the ankle? Usually when there is pain from a compressed spinal, nerve it affects a broader area.

Go online and look for a "dermatome map." It will show you which area of the body is innervated by which spinal nerve.

You will see, for example, that the L4 nerve innervates the inside of the ankle, foot and big toe. The outside of the ankle is innervated by the S1 nerve root, running down to the little toe....

Old 11-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
(male)

Tim Runner HB User
Re: Ankle Pain, Back problems??

Hi,

I had the same problem as you have. I've visited a Physiotherapist and he said I need orthotics, and referred me to Tamir Kfir Orthotics, sad he's the best. and it actually helped me.
Try to contact him through his website,

Tim

Reply Reply