It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
(female)

jb1966 HB User
Do I need to dry the inside of my fiberglass cast that got wet in shower?

I took a shower with my casted leg outside of the shower ;-) but water got inside the whole left side from the top to the bottom. My cast was put on a week ago and will be coming off in 3 weeks. What are the chances of it drying out and not having to go to replace it?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Do I need to dry the inside of my fiberglass cast that got wet in shower?

If you have a vacuum cleaner with a hose, you can hold the hose of the vacuum against your cast and turn the vacuum on. This will pull the air from the ends of the cast and out where you have the hose settled. It creates a safe current that helps dry the skin underneath. It also helps with the itching.

It is very important to keep the cast dry because you can have skin problems if you don't.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
jb1966 (11-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You can purchase a "cast cover" at the drug store. They work great for showers or baths!

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
jb1966 (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
(female)

jb1966 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
If you have a vacuum cleaner with a hose, you can hold the hose of the vacuum against your cast and turn the vacuum on. This will pull the air from the ends of the cast and out where you have the hose settled. It creates a safe current that helps dry the skin underneath. It also helps with the itching.

It is very important to keep the cast dry because you can have skin problems if you don't.
Thanks for the advice. I ended up cutting 3 inch by 10 inch strips of t-shirt and gently pushed it into the cast evenly as far as I could get it. From both ends. Every 10 minutes or so I took them out (they were damp) and aired them out for 10 minutes and did the whole procedure again. After 4 hours the cast was almost completely dry. This morning it was pretty itchy but I took zyllergy and I am fine now.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
(female)

Beemer09 HB User

I also have a fiberglass cast for foot surgery I had done. My doctor told me to use a hair dryer if the cast got wet. There is a cast protector bag made specifically for leg casts that works well. I got mine from my doc, but probably can find at drugstore.

Reply Reply