It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
(female)

jb1966 HB User
Smile weight bearing after ankle surgery

Hi,
I broke my fibula and tibia bones and tore 2 tendons. Syndesmosis. I had surgery 3 weeks ago where they put in 6 screws and a metal plate in one bone and a large screw holding 2 bones together to allow for the healing of the tendon. A week ago I had the plaster cast removed, xrays done and opted for a fiberglass cast. I was told it is a 'walking cast' but not to rush. I can definitely bear more weight like while I am brushing my teeth but I am scared to try more than that. I actually sense that my brain will not allow me to do more than is good for my ankle. Has anyone else experienced something like that? When is it realistic for me to actually walk in the walking cast? (I am in it for 4 weeks, 3 more weeks to go) I also kind of gather that I might not walk in the cast at all and it will happen when I start PT. Is that true? I was told I can't drive my 'manual transmission' car until 2 weeks after cast is removed and I start PT. Is that a realisitc time line?
Any answers will be so helpful. I have read all of the boards connected to my injury but still feel I have questions.
Thanks,
Jolie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
(female)

midwestgaldh HB User
Re: weight bearing after ankle surgery

It was 7 weeks after surgery that I finally got to walk with my boot and bear any weight. I tore ligaments as well break my ankle. it's a long process. I haven't done PT yet and my doctor would like me to be walking in my boot without crutches by next Monday 11/19. I am having problems walking in my boot because my boot sits higher than my good leg. it seems I cannot get them in sync with one another to walk. I can use one crutch but haven't eliminated them completely. If I am not walking without my crutches by time my next appt. in a week, then I am going to talk to my docotr and ask for PT. I find that it is different for each person.
As far as driving, I drove about a week after surgery as long as I was not on my Pain medications.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
(female)

midwestgaldh HB User
Re: weight bearing after ankle surgery

It was 7 weeks after surgery that I finally got to walk with my boot and bear any weight. I tore ligaments as well break my ankle. it's a long process. I haven't done PT yet and my doctor would like me to be walking in my boot without crutches by next Monday 11/19. I am having problems walking in my boot because my boot sits higher than my good leg. it seems I cannot get them in sync with one another to walk. I can use one crutch but haven't eliminated them completely. If I am not walking without my crutches by time my next appt. in a week, then I am going to talk to my docotr and ask for PT. I find that it is different for each person.
As far as driving, I drove about a week after surgery as long as I was not on my Pain medications.

Reply Reply