It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
(male)

Linty53 HB User
Debridement microfracture of ankle

Hi all. I had surgery on my ankle 9 weeks ago. This was to remove a spur and to do some drilling to promote the cartilage which had worn away to grow back. I am now walking fine with little pain. As my job is fairly physical I fell that I could struggle on at work in may e a weeks time but does anyone know if this will cause further damage?

Has anyone got a similar experience? Roughly how long will it be until I am able to run?

Many thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
(female)

sksunkist HB User
Re: Debridement microfracture of ankle

I am about to have the same surgery (removing bone spur and microfracture for OCD) and I am wondering the same thing - when will I be able to go back to work? I have a desk job that does not require any physical activity.

Last edited by sksunkist; 12-20-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
(male)

umtum HB Userumtum HB Userumtum HB User
Re: Debridement microfracture of ankle

Hi LInty,

I had the same procedures done about 10 days ago. So far I'm not experiencing any pain. I already got almost all of my ROM back. I could probably start to walk soon but I'm just going to stay off it for longer to be safe. Before my surgery, I started to experience a pinching type of pain while walking. Some days I wouldn't experience much pain, but other days I would feel a sharp pain at the lateral side of my ankle. I saw a doctor. First got x-rays which revealed a couple of bone spurs. The doctor thought that was the cause of my pain. I insisted we do an MRI b/c I felt like something else was wrong. After MRI, he said I had a small cartilage lesion on the lateral side of my ankle. I ended up having an arthroscopy and microfracture.

So far everything seems okay. Only thing that concerns me is the swelling I get when I get up. Swells in the front and lateral side of my ankle (which was the case before my surgery). When I elevate it the swelling goes down but still see some of the swelling. I'm wondering if the my cartilage damage is what was causing the swelling this whole time. Also, when my microfracture heals, is the swelling going to stop?

How are you progressing so far? I would love to hear how you are doing.

Reply Reply

Tags
ankle drilling, debridement, microfracture effectivity, microfracture surgery