It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Orthopedic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
(female)

inpain2long HB User
Unhappy Post-surgery lapidus bunionectomy

I had surgery Oct. 4, 2012. It consisted of breaking the metatorsel, inserting 2 screws, and cutting the bunion off. My Dr. has me walking on it with 1 crutch, now. I'm disappointed & depressed due to the constant pain & swelling (everyday) since surgery. I'm taking 600mg Ibuprofen twice a day and one Hydrocodone-acetaminophine 7.5-325mg at bedtime. I'm taking this at bedtime (to be able to sleep due to pain),they are the remainder of what was prescribed (haven't informed my Dr., yet). How long can I expect pain and swelling? Should I push it by walking on my foot more to promote the blood flow and will it help decrease pain & swelling? I'm still only able to go to the restroom. When I take a shower, ride in a vehicle, or sit at my computer for more than 10-15 minutes it swells up like a balloon & I have throbbing pains, sharp piercing pains, aching & tingling, which I know the tingling is normal. I'm beginning to use the compression sock. Please help!!!

Last edited by inpain2long; 12-12-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: additional info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
(female)

fatfoot HB User
Re: Post-surgery lapidus bunionectomy

Dear inpain2long

My op was on 8 November 2012 and I was supposed to only be booked off until 21 Dec - thank heavens for the xmas break!
I too am at my wit's end about swelling feet and pain, and not wanting to appear like a sissy, but this is much more / takes longer, than I expected!

I am just now completing a course of antibiotics for infection in the 1 foot, because some stitches close to the surface became infected.

Have you had any response from anywhere? Being with the military medical one does not always see the same dr, and tend to get conflicting messages.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User
Re: Post-surgery lapidus bunionectomy

inpain2long~ Everything you are experiencing is normal. I had this surgery on both feet at the same time so I know how painful and depressing it can be.

Don't rush it; swelling is a normal part of recovery and will last for months. Elevate your foot and ice it every evening. Don't push the walking to speed healing, only do what you are comfortable doing.
Wear the compression sock to help with swelling. I didn't have one but had special compression bandages that the Dr. gave me to wrap around my feet to help with swelling.
I remember trying to cook dinner and how much swelling would occur and how achy my feet would become just from standing and trying to cook and prepare dinner nightly for my family. I borrowed a walker from my mom so I would sit on that when I got tired and wheel around the kitchen just to ease the discomfort.
At night I would take the compression bandages off, elevate, and ice.

Do whatever you need to do to make yourself comfortable. Things will get better, but it will take time.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
(female)

Jillzz HB User
Smile Re: Post-surgery lapidus bunionectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpain2long View Post
I had surgery Oct. 4, 2012. It consisted of breaking the metatorsel, inserting 2 screws, and cutting the bunion off. My Dr. has me walking on it with 1 crutch, now. I'm disappointed & depressed due to the constant pain & swelling (everyday) since surgery. I'm taking 600mg Ibuprofen twice a day and one Hydrocodone-acetaminophine 7.5-325mg at bedtime. I'm taking this at bedtime (to be able to sleep due to pain),they are the remainder of what was prescribed (haven't informed my Dr., yet). How long can I expect pain and swelling? Should I push it by walking on my foot more to promote the blood flow and will it help decrease pain & swelling? I'm still only able to go to the restroom. When I take a shower, ride in a vehicle, or sit at my computer for more than 10-15 minutes it swells up like a balloon & I have throbbing pains, sharp piercing pains, aching & tingling, which I know the tingling is normal. I'm beginning to use the compression sock. Please help!!!
I had similar surgery but also had all small toes broken, shortened and screwed on each foot. First op Feb 2011, 2nd Aug 2011 by which time the swelling on first foot was reasonable. With the 2nd foot I walked on it because I was so utterly fed up with being on crutches. It hurt but I put up with it and huge swelling etc.
BAD CHOICE. I am now facing having it done all over again and this time I have to hop on crutches for 6-12 weeks after bone grafts.
PLEASE be patient and rest it all you can. It is a miserable operation and very very depressing but it is truly awful to be facing it again. So do it properly the first time.
I do have osteoporosis which has crumbled the joint but it was mainly because I thought I could do better than I was told to do..
Even now my feet swell and the tingling is almost unbearable at night but the pain in the big toe joint is far far less so I think it is worth it if you have the patience to see it through.
Take care. Best wishes

Reply Reply